Nervous for nothing, I'm sure...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 08:03 AM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Nervous for nothing, I'm sure...

Can anyone relate to my nervousness?

A bit earlier this morning as my girlfriend was leaving my place for work, I remembered that I had to loan her a car since her Mini Cooper S is in the shop getting some maintenance.

So I walk over to my key rack to grab a certain set of Mitsubishi keys when I hear a, "Oh, babe, can I take the Porsche? Pleeeeeeease?"

I cringed a bit at the thought of someone other than myself driving alone in my favorite possession, but then I turned around to see her with this grin on her face like she had this planned the whole time. I thought, "What the hell, it's just a car right?" and gave her the key to the Porsche.

She's driven it a few times before (with me in it), and I'm sure the car will be fine, but I'm very uneasy without it--especially knowing that I won't get it back for two days!

Stressful week already and I'm not even at the office. Had to come to Rennlist for support. Somebody tell me it will be okay.

-Harry
Old 11-21-2005, 08:15 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Harry, you’re a brave man, braver then me. And for two days, good luck! I can only assume that conditions are still good in your part of America? Here in France not only would I not loan the Porsche to my wife but, even I, BIG BAD MARC, I choose early Sunday morning for a drive and would NEVER PARK MY 964 ON THE STREET, or some unknown garage in Cannes, sad but true ! I just crossed my Beru, good luck magic lead cables for you, so everything will be cool...I hope.
Marc A.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:53 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Harry, I've lent out my car but only to a few people who I trust their driving. I'm sure your girlfriend knows that you treasure your 964 and she will treat it well. Does she treat her own car well?
Old 11-21-2005, 09:11 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default girl and the ride

Harry, I am sure that your Girl knows how much your car means to you and she will take good car of it. I bet she will want her own after driving the car watch
Old 11-21-2005, 09:35 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

ARE YOU NUTS??!!! How could you do something like that?!!! The stress alone could kill you. What could happen to it while in the hands of someone else?

Relax, as you said, it is only a car. But I know you will not be calm until it is back in your hands... oh... and be sure to find/notice a scratch or a ding somewhere (something that was already on the car but you had not notice until today) that you will sure blame her for it...
Old 11-21-2005, 09:37 AM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Harry, you need to be rationale about this. You love your Porsche and you probably love your girlfriend, why risk losing both. Women don't understand the wierd relationship between a man and his car. No matter what they say, it's still just a nice way to get around. I let my,.then wife, drive my 79 911 when I was on a business trip. She came to a light at the bottom of a hill and went up that hill starting in 3rd gear, she though she was in first, need;less to say, burned out my clutch. I let my girl friend take my SL 500 over the holidays and $ 3000 later!!!!!!. She followed a wasted hauler and ran over a bunch of stuff that fell off the truck. I let my present girlfriend drive my baby with me and I loathe the day when she will ask the infamous question "Honey ....! And she drives with both hands on the streeing wheel and 5 miles below the speed limit. Do yourself a favor and buy your girlfriend something to take her mind off this.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harry... You MUST post the outcome of your girlfriends adventure today. You definitely have more guts than I do. I have offered to let my wife drive my car while I rode... She declined. She tried it in my last Porsche and didn't like it... Though she knows that this one is a lot different from my old 77' Targa. I have asked my Father-In-Law to drive my car before... He REFUSED! He said that if anything ever happened while he was driving that I would never forgive him... He's probably right!

Good luck... And I hope you have fingernails left at the end of the day!
Old 11-21-2005, 10:33 AM
williamreinecke
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't let my wife drive my Porsche. Her E320 is a frequent customer at the body shop. They are on a first name basis with her. It scares me enough when she drives my Taurus wagon, or backs out of the driveway when the 911 is parked there!
Old 11-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Talking

Unless she give you this kind of welcome when she gets back home I would'nt worry about it.
And if she does I wouldn't worry about either, not until afterwards anyway....
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Christer
Race Car

A car is a just car and is meant to be used. I park mine pretty much anywhere and use it where I want. With regards to someone else driving it, I would say that after the mods I have done the car might be a bit intimidating to drive for some people (especially ínexperienced drivers) but would have no hesitation in letting a Rennlister or someone else who knew a little bit about driving to have a go.

Stop being such a *****!
Old 11-21-2005, 11:22 AM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I keep telling my wife she needs to learn to drive my car...she hasn't taken me up on it. Thank you Froyd.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Japanese girlfriend , she drove a white BMW 325i , no dents , dings or scratches . Perfectly clean inside and out . It would be a pleasure to lend her my car . I wish I could .
I had a Thai girlfriend , she could wreck a car from the passenger seat .
Old 11-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My wife does not drive standard and refuses to learn - her loss, my gain.

I have let several friends drive my car (with me as passenger) as I remember the thrill that just seeing one would be before I got to own one so I want to be able to pass on to others that type of thrill.

Marc
Old 11-21-2005, 02:49 PM
josephaiello
Intermediate

Harry,
I live in San Diego. I'll keep my eyes open.

Joe
Old 11-21-2005, 05:26 PM
OUR9II
Instructor

My wife had our '72 as her daily driver when we first met 15 years ago. Her love of Porsches came from her dad who restored and owned many 911's (still has an SC). We had been looking for another 911, and looked at many SC's, 3.2's, 964's, and 993's before we found our '93. She's the one who convinced me to travel to go see it after I hemmed and hawed.

She always asks beforehand if she can drive "my" 911, but doesn't need to (of course). She has way more 911 seat time than I do! The way I see it, I love to convert the uninitiated to the Porsche experience, the more the better. Ahem, though except for her, they have to go find one for themselves.

Have fun with your projects.

Mike
'93 C2
'72T

Quick Reply: Nervous for nothing, I'm sure...