Sponsored by:

wow , you got to check this engine out

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mike_99l
well i wonder how much it will cost to have a system like that installed(parts and labor) by a good shop.
if i didnt know better i would thought that engine is stock, it just fits great and cancels (or cover) or the little plugs and wires.
I've been checking around as I am interested in doing this if all goes well. The numbers I've heard are that it costs around $10k to do a good job.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marc, I have read a number of your posts now and they all seem to be about how bad it is to modify a 964....I think we get the point and where you stand on modifications. Lets try to move on.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:28 PM
H964
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

marc, you are taking this discussion very personal. more hp doesnt heart it only makes it more fun . why do you think porsche adds more hp in every newer model, it just has to, here in the us , the honda accord has 260hp, dont even mention the fords and dodges.........
the 964 is great as it is , but i think another 100 ponnies will only make it better . of course we are talking about upgrading the suspension , brakes , exhaust... the necessary. i lived in france my self, iam actually 1/2 french , but generally in europe most cars are diesel and have very small engines, no to discredit their top end speed, cause i did 180km/h on a fiat uno once.
anyway, try driving a turbo porsche and you may change your mind
Old 11-22-2005, 04:25 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Marc... I agree with Christer... But I also agree with you. I respect your love of the original 964... Or any Porsche for that matter. I prefer to modify mine. I am not worried about selling it and what the next owner will think. I want to "Make it mine!" If that means supercharging it for another 100HP then that's what I'll do. I too love the original 964 but I also take pride in owning a car that nobody else has. I purchased mine specifically because it had the mods that it had. I did not want an all original car. I understand that most do. This one had most of the mods already installed... Mods that I would have spent a heck of a lot of money to add myself. My only regret is that it has the light weight flywheel... But I will correct that at some point.

Yes, the speed limit is 65 in most places around here... 75 in some places. That is not the point to me. I would like my Porsche to be a little more responsive, a little quicker (actually a lot quicker) and a supercharger can accomplish this quite well. Yes, it's expensive and it's not like I carry around $10k in my pocket... That's why it's a long-range goal. The $10k is a top-end range. I think that would cover the supercharger and probably a Motec install if I'm not mistaken. I'm not interested purely in numbers... But in what they translate into... Going faster and getting up to speed sooner. A lot of people in this forum speak of modifying their cars in different ways. To each, his own!

You have a beautiful, original Porsche. Though I'm not into cabriolets, I do like the polished fan on your engine! If you want to keep yours all original... More power to you.

For me... I can't understand why someone wouldn't want to modify their Porsche!
Old 11-22-2005, 04:35 PM
tafkai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did nobody understand christer's smilie-wink ?????
Old 11-22-2005, 04:39 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tafkai
did nobody understand christer's smilie-wink ?????
I did... Everything is cool... Just opinions being expressed!
Old 11-23-2005, 05:12 AM
seaeagle
Advanced

Why wouldn't you go for a 964 turbo well maintained than have these mods. Or why wouldn't you let Gemballa on the job to see what they could do or even RUF ? I know, I know $$$$$. You want a fast car? My $0.02 is go out and buy one the way the manufacturer intended. Sure some small mods here and they are fine. But 250hp to 400hp for US$10k. Something has got to give. Wouldn't Porsche have had somethong available as an option if that was all there was to it?

My porsche mechanic, an engineeer really, who also builds Porsche race cars is adamant. Do not supercharge these cars. And he reiterates the comments above. I trust his judgement. Nothing comes for free.Sooner or later a price has to be paid. It might be a blown motor, or to get the mod to be reliable you have to spend the big $$$.So big in fact you should have bought a GT3 and been done with it.

Ok I am waiting for the avalanche of responses to shoot me down.

Sea Eagle
Old 11-23-2005, 07:09 AM
bzh on the loose
Advanced

Since things seem to have cool down a bit between a france resident and a english one (why those two always LOVE to argue... i Know i am French!) i do have a little comment...and tease people a bit

Marc, you said that one should keep a 964 as original as possible and avoid making any mods... i am more on the side which support your view even if i am tempted to reduce the understeering effect on my C4 with some suspension mods (lowering, powerball ball joint)...Now, it this MODIFICATION or just "tune up" ???

One could also read original as "everything like when she left the factory"... So no repaint, now faded rear light, same model of tire as in 1991, same alloys wheels (but your cup 1 could be an original option from 1991, i don't remember when they were offered optional and then, on all cars) and so on ...

In the same spirit, what do you make of the double mass flywheel evolution? what should the owner of a pre 1991 do when it fails? take the same rubber centered one or the "upgrade" for a LUK from Porsche??? what about the DME? keep the original part 944 ... ... ... or choose the 993 ... ... ...

yes, i love to cut hairs in 4

Those view i just exposed are a bit (ok very) extreme, i admit. it is in fact VERY difficult to keep one's 964 O R I G I N A L ,but i guess you will argue that you meant "original porsche parts..."

More importantly, i think everyone love his car and more importantly in his own way. The same goes for everything... Some guys love girls with make up and all dressed up some prefer them more natural (and i am not even talking about blond/brunette/tall or the size of anything ) Personally, i love them all

i am just curious though. Those wood panels on your car... what is the Porsche option code? Sorry, i was too tempted too ask...

That said, i didn't find that you were overreacting... just being a bit passionate in expressing your view...as we ALL happened to be at some point.

Keep the passion side well anchored; an unpassionate man is a dull man !
my little proverb of the day-just my own personal internal opinion. sorry if i hurt anybody who thinks differently-

time to grab some food on this part of the world.

have a great PM for the european ones and a great day for the one across the pond!

albin.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:36 AM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

For Chris M
The slope is that slippery, endless, the longer you're on it the faster you go, money grabbing, marriage threatening but very enjoyable phenomena that some of us are experiencing when they start modifying their cars.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:51 AM
bzh on the loose
Advanced

Originally Posted by kris
For Chris M
marriage threatening
At least, i am safe on this if i start to modify my car
Old 11-23-2005, 07:57 AM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

A lot of wisdom in those words Albin but one shouldn't forget that when you enter a community like Rennlist you just have to realise that a lot of people like to modify their cars, some purely esthetical others only performance wise. The real die-hards do both. If you proclamate at every opportunity that it's un-cool to modify your car than you shouldn't be surprised to receive some comments. We all share the same enthusiasm for our cars, some of us have already sent letters to Rome to ask Benedictus if he would be so kind to make Ferdinand a saint, others, like Christer, stay very down to earth and de-mistify the whole thing. Just opinions and that's ok, it becomes a bit ennoying when those opinions are ventilated again and again. Hopefully Marc A, you will not be offended with what I just wrote, it's just a piece of advice.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:06 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll take a blower and nitrous.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take a blower to dinner !
Old 11-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Indycam
I'll take a blower to dinner !
Now THAT is funny!... I still have a smile on my face... It's up to you to decide whether it's because of the joke or who I took to dinner...

Marc... No offense taken and my feelings aren't hurt in the least. At first, I thought you were just pulling my chain... Then after reading a few of your posts... I realized that you are just passionate about everything Porsche. I respect your thoughts and feelings. And I guess, after reading your post, that you respect mine... And that you were just looking for info.

In response to one of the other posters... Yeah... I've thought about buying a turbo instead of going the supercharged route... And I still might. The turbo was what I was originally looking for. I spent 6+ months looking and couldn't find one and the Porsche bug was biting hard! TPC in Maryland has made quite a name for themselves in supercharging 911s. They have been written up and given accolades for their painstaking work in this area. I would trust their judgement when it comes to supercharging my car... If I do go that route.

My problem is that I know my car and I know that it is straight and clean. (Yes... It's modified) But I know it like the back of my hand. It has no problems, other than the lightweight flywheel issue, but that is manageable. I still may go the turbo route... But the supercharging bug is biting hard!
Old 11-23-2005, 09:34 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had considered a TPC kit for mine but a number of issues put me off;

I'd always considered the 7th injector to be a bit iof an inelegant way of doing things but a developement of the unit with motec sort of answered my worries there. I hadn't reaslised until now the 7th injector was also nessecery for charge cooling to lower inlet temps.

Secondly there was the issue of detonation. Mark Budgens TPC'd 993 runs intercoolers, aquamist and has knock warning lights on the dash .... hmmmmm.

What really put me off, and I'm interested in the fact that Geofferey knows of tracked TPC'd cars, was a few laps in TPC'd 993 on track. The car pulled real hard for the first few laps but then went "off". The owner sumised the ECU was retarding the ignition and it did feel like that. I also know of another car that converted from supercharger to motec for track use.

I guess for the ocasional big hit on the street superchargers produce the goods in spades but there seems problems to me with charge cooling for prolonged track use.

Quick Reply: wow , you got to check this engine out