Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detailing question: Can I use a Dewalt palm orbital sander to buff?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Detailing question: Can I use a Dewalt palm orbital sander to buff?

I was about to buy the Porter Cable Buffer/Sander ($180) when I read in the description that it is a random orbital movement. Then I remembered I have a 6" Dewalt palm sander that is random orbital. The Dewalt is lighter and has no handle. Dare I use this for my winter detail?
Old 11-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahaha - just make sure you don't stumble out in a drunken stupor and go to down with the regular sanding pad on it...
Old 11-14-2005, 12:16 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Rob,..Porter Cable Buffer/Sander, sorry I don't know the baby but, considering what’s at stake I would get something made for the job of polishing, especially the unforgiving RED! It has to be low-revving, 10-12 inches in diameter, it has to be a soft fluffy cotton buffer, two handed grip for control, and orbital, figure eight movement. Here in France at the car centres they cost $30-35,....Invest in something made for the job, the palm is too small for all the curves, in and outs of a 911, one mistake and its through the varnish, through the paint and "hello grey primer", they rev too high and require force, you must have the complete opposite, or else... OUCH!!! All the best,
Marc A.

Last edited by AGNEW, Marc; 11-14-2005 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:00 AM
puma1824
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bates
I was about to buy the Porter Cable Buffer/Sander ($180) when I read in the description that it is a random orbital movement. Then I remembered I have a 6" Dewalt palm sander that is random orbital. The Dewalt is lighter and has no handle. Dare I use this for my winter detail?
May want to post this question to the Concours crowd under Perf & Comp...they probably would be the SMEs.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:23 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Definitely post this on the Concours board, there's a guy over there named Anthony Orosco who's a serious guru. I don't know if I'd chance it with your little palm sander, especially since th PC is only $100 @ Lowe's.
Brian
Old 11-14-2005, 02:33 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

The Green Party in Germany passed legislation that the solvents in paint were harmful to those that sprayed or were near the assembly lines leading into the cabins. blah, blah , they changed their solvent bases and had many problems, please have a good look before you start with machines to see if there even is clear coat varnish. Red is a soft colour, proceed with caution. MY advice, cut back with paint renovation polish to remove the oxidized, whitish mat paint first, and if YOU SEE RED ON THE RAG, THERE’S NO CLEAR COAT, proceed with finer less abrasive polish, to finish with a clear protective polish. USE YOU YOUR GOD GIVEN FINGERS AND HANDS. All this came back to me because of my experiences with a 1990 VW PASSET IN RED, the problems were explained to me by VW Wolfsburg. In the US, McGuire’s can help? TAKE YOUR TIME.UNDER YOUR FINGERS IS A WORK OF ART !!!!! MARC A.

(15 mins. later)
PS. NO!!!! checked your palm sander out on the net,.....13500 rpms, YOU'LL GO THROUGH YOUR SURFACE RED COATS IN A SECOND, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT, PUT IT BACK UNTIL YOUR NEXT HOUSE PAINT WORK, BUT NOT THE PORSCHE,....IN FRANCE I HAVE 30 YEARS EXPERIANCE IN YACHT RESTORATION, AND CARS ARE MY PASSION, I DO THE CONCOURS SHOWS. My new member pics on the page reflect my details spoken about,.

Last edited by AGNEW, Marc; 11-14-2005 at 02:52 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:40 AM
Bates
Racer

Thanks for all the help. Marc, I bought the sander to take a door (on my house) back down to wood. Worked great! However, I do not want to take my car door back down to the original steel. I have a 10-12 in buffer, like you described. I tried it once, but it just seemed clumsy for such a curvy car.

Take care.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:58 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Rob, if made for a car's polishing, the revs are low, it should have a two handed sure grip feel, and again, take your time, and next year's, "PEBBLE BEACH CONCOURS" is all yours for the taking!! By the way, you'll get used to the machine. Hold it to the surface, and turn it on,. Don't turn it on and then bring it down, the revs are too high,. and watch what's being removed paint wise, that should tell you the real condition of your "soft" red paint,. You'll get into it, the results will be great!!
Marc A.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:23 PM
hawk911
Race Car

I've got an old Sears craftsman 7", and it works fine. I use it to apply the polish or wax, and then take it off by hand. You need to be careful of the high points, but the flat spots are a breeze.

I think part of the trick is the choice ot wax/polish you choose also. I swear by Meguiars Mirror Glaze line; it's great on my car. JayH is going to come down next year, and I'll try his 3M method, but for now it's Meguiars.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:04 PM
Bates
Racer

Does anyone use the two handle 10-12" random orbital sanders??? Great for my wife's Jeep because of the flat surfaces, but seemed too "big" when I tried it on the P.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:30 PM
hawk911
Race Car

I think it's too big for the car, but would be great on a larger car no problem.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:59 PM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

Porter Cable is ok, but if you are serious get a Cylco polisher, they are about 300 bucks, but they have the orbital motion unlike any other and they will last you a lifetime... Simply the best.

Quick Reply: Detailing question: Can I use a Dewalt palm orbital sander to buff?