Sponsored by:

RENEW INTERIOR DOOR HANDLE

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 03:04 AM
seaeagle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RENEW INTERIOR DOOR HANDLE

I have a 1990 964. My RHD map lid cover broke a metal latch recently. So the spring did not work to hold it up. I replaced it with a new part at the pricley sum of $A170 (US$120) & now all ok. It was then that I noticed my map holder was cracking at certain plastic points, old age I guess, and if I had to remove it I am convinced it would be gone forever. Fortunately I replaced the lid cover without removing the map holder. But in case I had to, I enquired of my local dealer for a new one. Answer. Porsche don't make it anymore so its aftermarket or second hand.

Now the point of this story is I also wanted to replace at the same time the interior door hadles as they are severley faded with age (but work fine). But to do this I am sure the map holder has to come off and I just don't want to go there.

So I thoght maybe I could carefully paint the plastic black and give it a refreshed look? Has anyone done this. If so what type of paint is best to ensure it does not rub off with use etc and closely matches the black interior.

Also I think the handle mechancials could use a bit of lube - signs of surface rust etc on close inspection. any thoughts on what best to spray in there.

I am firmly of the belief if it aint broke don't fix it, particularly with interior bits that are 14+ years old.

Having said that if there was an aftermarket map holder that was identical to OEM I would give that a look as well.

Or do i keep everythig as is and say well its original, have a look at it never been touched?

Or do I get rid of both of them on the eternal weight saving quest as I only use it for garage openers and sun glasses and the targa opening tool!

Sea Eagle

Grand Prix White/Black 1990 964 Targa C4.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:36 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen the map pockets in Excellence magazine for about $200 usd a set. they can also be carpeted for a slightly higher price.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:52 AM
botoo
Instructor

Hi,
I repaired the cracked plastic on my map holder using epoxy glue and it held up just fine. Actually can't tell it was broken. At that time I also replaced the interior door handles which are readily available, ebay or Pelican for sure.

I would recommend this as it isn't difficult.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:12 PM
puma1824
Pro

I have a set of BLACK door handles if your interested.

LMK,
-Puma

Originally Posted by seaeagle
I have a 1990 964. My RHD map lid cover broke a metal latch recently. So the spring did not work to hold it up. I replaced it with a new part at the pricley sum of $A170 (US$120) & now all ok. It was then that I noticed my map holder was cracking at certain plastic points, old age I guess, and if I had to remove it I am convinced it would be gone forever. Fortunately I replaced the lid cover without removing the map holder. But in case I had to, I enquired of my local dealer for a new one. Answer. Porsche don't make it anymore so its aftermarket or second hand.

Now the point of this story is I also wanted to replace at the same time the interior door hadles as they are severley faded with age (but work fine). But to do this I am sure the map holder has to come off and I just don't want to go there.

So I thoght maybe I could carefully paint the plastic black and give it a refreshed look? Has anyone done this. If so what type of paint is best to ensure it does not rub off with use etc and closely matches the black interior.

Also I think the handle mechancials could use a bit of lube - signs of surface rust etc on close inspection. any thoughts on what best to spray in there.

I am firmly of the belief if it aint broke don't fix it, particularly with interior bits that are 14+ years old.

Having said that if there was an aftermarket map holder that was identical to OEM I would give that a look as well.

Or do i keep everythig as is and say well its original, have a look at it never been touched?

Or do I get rid of both of them on the eternal weight saving quest as I only use it for garage openers and sun glasses and the targa opening tool!

Sea Eagle

Grand Prix White/Black 1990 964 Targa C4.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:17 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

One if my door pockets/map holders also succumbed to age and broke where it was screwed under the door handle a few months ago.

A little Kraxy-glue and it has been perfect ever since - those door pockets are painfully expensive so try a DIY fix first.

Marc
Old 11-14-2005, 06:26 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Are you talking about the actual door pulls that open the doors, or the handles you use to pull the door shut? If you're talking about the pulls that open the doors, they are easy to remove enough to paint. If you pull the door pull as if you want to open the door you will see a metal bar linkage that links the pull to the opening mechanism. This bar has a 90 degree bend in it and snaps into a piece of plastic in a hole on the back of the handle. just pop this piece of metal out and the handle is free. You can then get access to the entire handle if you wish to paint it.
Brian
Old 11-15-2005, 05:15 AM
seaeagle
Advanced

thanks guys, I am going into the breach i think. If I can do a deal with Puma man i will replace them, otherwise I am gonna paint them.

Gotta save up for the 3.8 conversion which i know is coming.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:02 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seaeagle... I think Krylon makes a plastic paint that should work. There are also a lot of things on ebay you could use. They have stainless covers, solid stainless, etc. I added little Porsche crests to my handles. I think it adds a little class.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:41 AM
C4-JohnO
Racer

Originally Posted by bhensarl
Are you talking about the actual door pulls that open the doors, or the handles you use to pull the door shut? If you're talking about the pulls that open the doors, they are easy to remove enough to paint. If you pull the door pull as if you want to open the door you will see a metal bar linkage that links the pull to the opening mechanism. This bar has a 90 degree bend in it and snaps into a piece of plastic in a hole on the back of the handle. just pop this piece of metal out and the handle is free. You can then get access to the entire handle if you wish to paint it.
Brian
Does this mean I could take mine off (passenger side) and stop it rattling. Drives me mad but I thought it would be complicated to get apart!
Old 11-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Have a look at the great thread posted here ( ) as there are some pictures on handle removal.

Marc
Old 11-15-2005, 01:37 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

There you go. In the thread that Marc posted you can see how easy it is to release the door handle. I'm not sure how one goes about removing the handle completely, but I would think you could certainly paint it without removing it.
Brian
Old 11-15-2005, 02:20 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're talking about the plastic parallelogram-shaped handles that you use to unlatch the doors from the cabin, you should try "Black Again" or another color restorative (see: http://www.zcarparts.com/specials_5.htm . I used it on the interior plastic on my C2 cab and it made a big difference (no affiliation).

Regards,

John
Old 11-15-2005, 02:21 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah - as Briain said, it is easy to release the handle but a little more involved to remove it completely.

When I swapped my handles for brushed aluminum, I did (obviously) remove them completely. As you can see in the photos, you have to pull of a circlip off the pivot pin but then the the pull-door handle (to close the door) gets in the way of lifting the pin out of the pivot. You have to remove the map holder/door pockets and unscrew the bolts holding the pull-door handle on. That allows you to slip the pin out and remove the handle completely.

If you are just going to paint them, I'd suggest leaving them attached by the pivot pin and just releasing the hooked end as shown. Removing them completely is alot more fiddley and probably not needed.

Marc
Old 11-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Mike_964
Rennlist Member

Hi Marc

Do you have any pictures of your dorhandles. I think the black handles with the white dot is not exactly up the standard of the rest of the Porsche.
You also have aluminium pedals, do you have any pictures of that, I'm also thinking about changing mine.

Regards,
Michael
Old 11-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Michael - below is a picture of my pedals. I've no pictures of the door handles but I put one below from the Rennline web site - the place where I bought mine.

I put in brushed aluminum guage rings and the door handles as a little "bling" and because I also thought the black plastic handles looked a bit cheap on a car as nice as the p-car.

Marc
p.s. the handles I got do look slightly different than those in the picture - I'll try to snap and post a picture of my handles tomorrow.

edit: fixed link.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: RENEW INTERIOR DOOR HANDLE