Sponsored by:

Loose Gear Shift?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 02:26 AM
tonyp
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose Gear Shift?

Just recently I have noticed that the gear stick on my 1990 C2 (manual) appears to have become loose. What I mean is that you can lift it up, there still feels like a resistance (spring loaded) acting against the stick but it feels as if I could pull the lever out from its housing. What's the problem and why has this happened!!!!

It may be related but since noticing this I have found alot more resistance when shifting into 5th gear. I cant find any help from the workshop manual, I was hoping that it is a "simple fix" so could somebody please shed some light on this?
Old 11-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Chimera
Rennlist Member

Search the 964 Forum for the following thread:

"Shifting problems... Shifter very loose. (small pics now!)"

Sorry, but I don't know how to give you a link.

Doc
'90 C2 Cabriolet
Old 11-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

I just had this problem a couple months ago and fixed it. Very easy (and inexpensive) fix. Shifts like brand new now.

The problem is that the little rubber surrounds (shift sleeves) that hold the guide tube in place have dried, become brittle and have broken inside, leaving the guide tube to slide around, making the shifting inaccurate. The rubber surrounds are inexpensive, and it took me about an hour to fix. All I did was lift the car, drop the tunnel cover, then removed the locking pins and slid the guide tube out on one side, then the other--replacing the surrounds one at a time.

There is a "slit" down the midline of the outside of the rubber surrounds that enable them to be held in place and fit tightly. The guide tube will be a tight fit as well, but that's what you want. You will then pop the locking pins (that keep the guide tube locked in place) back into their holes and voila... you're finished.

Part number for the "shift sleeve" is 964.424.224.01 and Pelican Parts has them for $3-4 each. You will need two as I said.

If you need to know anything else, let me know.

-Harry

Last edited by Euromagination; 11-12-2005 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:17 AM
tonyp
Intermediate

Nice One Harry!!

Quick Reply: Loose Gear Shift?