Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   How often do you apply full throttle? (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/237585-how-often-do-you-apply-full-throttle.html)

Monique 11-11-2005 08:34 AM

[QUOTE=AGNEW, MarcCross into Italy, the speed limits are 100-110 mph, (150-170kph), but no-one bothers you there, radar free, so 130-140 mph, (180-200kph) cruising is okay.[/QUOTE]

Wrong!!! I have a speeding ticket given to me in May last year in Italy. Doing 130 kmh in 110 zone allegedly. Ticket arrived by post 9 months after the alleged CRIME. I sent a registered objection and have not received a reply since...

Italian bureaucracy??? :)

hawk911 11-11-2005 08:39 AM

Lots

I try to get her up there every chance I get. I only drive her on the weekend :icon501: but I make it a point to ride her hard at least once during the experience. Wait- are we talking cars? :eek:

warmfuzzies 11-11-2005 09:02 AM

At least once every time I go out.

kevin

Smokin 11-11-2005 09:16 AM

Every time that traffic allows...

SNOWBIRD 11-11-2005 09:30 AM

Every chance I get, which is far too few.... They're are a few stretches of road that I can get away with winding it up, at least in 1st and 2nd... I knew before I bought the car that if I didn't go Tiptronic my license would be gone before the ink on the new title was dry. Love that sound... Grown to love the rumble at low idle in 4th too tho.

Christer 11-11-2005 09:37 AM

I am going to start a rival thread: How often do you change gear? :icon107:

Wachuko 11-11-2005 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Euromagination
...on the street. Track events NOT included as I hope to hell you use full throttle at the track. :p Basically, I've heard stories about people rarely allowing the car to rev past about 4k, and then there are people like myself. I'm well aware of my heavy foot, so I wonder if I'm generally "harder" on my 964 than some of you all are?

I drive my 964 about 4 days a week (about 150 miles/week), and I give it full throttle about 5-6 times each day. About half of those times that I give it full throttle, I'll take the rpm's up to @ 6250rpm before reaching for the next gear.
My excuse is that I mainly do it for the sound. The Ruf bypass just makes it sound too sweet. ;)

So do I drive it too hard, or do I drive it how I should? How do you all drive your Porsche?

-Harry

I also do it for the sound... and for health reasons (you know, getting rid of the carbon deposits, etc) I have the cat bypass and the G-pipe (secondary bypass)... I take off normally from a light and then proceed to floor it until it reaches aprox. 6500 rpms, shift and repeat... then I make sure I am not going over the speed limit, if so I come back to it...

Just this morning I did so... left everyone way back. Then this guy tries to catch up to me in his Nissan and there is a cop waiting at the next intersection (remember, I only do this up to street mph limits so I am crusing at speed limit by the time this guys gets by me...) I did get scare thinking that the cop was going to pull me over... but it stopped the speeding Nissan....

C4-JohnO 11-11-2005 10:08 AM

Once warm when I feel like it.

Some days I cruise and revel in the looks other days I blast and revel in the looks and when its still at the lights I revel in the looks.

Is there a pattern building up there? LOL

dcahn 11-11-2005 10:27 AM

You guys are hardcore and I guess I have been a wimp. I normally shift at 4500. I guess I need to live a little more on th edge. I just got it about a month ago so this is all new... 45K miles on it.

David
93 C2 Cab

MARC A. 964 C4 11-11-2005 11:07 AM

Jean-Pierre or is it Monique, Stopped for" Doing 130 kmh in 110".....Yes, because in the 110 kph zones the police will stop you for being 20 kph over the limit ,ie, city locations, two autotradas merging into one, pay toll both entrances, but where THE LEGAL speed limit is 150 kph (3lanes), every car capable is in the 180-200kph range. As recent as three weeks ago I was at Lago Maggore, there and back via Genoa, those speeds plus one stretch (3lanes) at 225-250 kph. for 30 +- mins. Last summer with my wife, son, and his friend we went there, I was avg. 170-200 kph with my MB 220 CDI AMG set-up, St Wgn., “THE GOSPEL TRUTH”..... BUT YES, YOU HAVE TO SLOW DOWN SOMETIMES. There are police looking out for Porsches, especially RED ones,.. You had the WRONG COLOUR, and the WRONG SPORTSCAR IN ITALIA.....Get that 993 repainted.....No.908 , Grand Prix White.....By the way where were you stopped J.P. in Italia? I'm a Northern Italian type of driver, Cannes-Lago Maggore 4-6 times a year for the last 15 years,(58 soon), check it out, great driving up there,. Porsche always launches the new models there and the Cote D'Azur. Like GB radar is killing France, but Italia remains clean. By the way, even on the AUTOBAHN, you have to wait for the, clear road ahead sign, or else, As I said the BEST ROADS for me are the small winding roads though the French country side,. Top down, Sunday morning, playing with the gearbox at the approach of every bend, feeling the car to the road, down-shifting to slow up, holding the car to its speed through the apex, feeling the car’s limit to the road, and accelerating up and out, onto the straight road ahead before the next bend, all to the sound of 5500-6700 rpms !!!! But, yes again, watch out ,the cops have a job to do, even early Sunday morning..... Drive Cooler if you can next time, chock the ticket up to experience....Marc A

Marc Shaw 11-11-2005 11:38 AM

Once it is warmed up - 6000 - 6500 is fair game. :D

And yeah, I shift often too - sometimes take the long way home just to be able to run it through the gears.........gotta love that Italian tune-up. :thumbup:

Marc

Wikkid911 11-11-2005 11:38 AM

I hardly ever do full throttle ;)

MARC A. 964 C4 11-11-2005 01:28 PM

Jean-Pierre or, is it Monique, I just looked at your (?) photos at www.ASGphotowerks.com,. WOW !!They are the, "tops of the pops !!",. the best I've seen !!,. Nice work, you are a gifted artist, thanks for the link, and thanks for the free show,....Marc A.

pete000 11-11-2005 03:49 PM

As long as the engine is up to temp and the road is clear I swing it up to 5500 any time i can get a chance.

Jay H 11-11-2005 06:13 PM

I have a garage queen that sees little use (350 miles this year before being put away for the winter), but I run the thing to red line every time I get her out and warm her up. I baby my car cosmetically, but man, definitely get these motors up to red line at least a few times a month. Springer3's comments about snapping a ring is quite believable based on conversations I've had over the years about our cars. Our cars don't even perform at their peak until you are over 4000 rpms.

(A fully warmed up 964 motor to me is when the oil thermostat opens. Watch your oil temp guage go up as you drive the car from cold. When it opens, the oil temp will drop back down considerably. When that happens, it's fair game to red line).

Jay
90 964