Sponsored by:

Door Locks...Ca-CHUNK!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Door Locks...Ca-CHUNK!

Wondering if anyone has had this happen...and if you got it fixed, fixed it yourself, etc. - WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM??

I arrived at work the other day, went to lock the doors with my key, Driver's side, heard the normal CHUNK sound and just as I turned to walk away, ANOTHER CHUNK sound!

The doors had unlocked themselves.

I went to lock them again, and noticed that only the passenger doorlock went down, then to my amazement, popped back up (the 2nd CHUNK)...my driver's lock **** will NOT retract, using the key or the pushbutton above the shifter.

I'm thinking it's the actuator/plunger in the driver's door...but am not in "throw parts at your car until it's fixed" mode - read as: I don't have a buttload of $$$$$$ to diagnose the problem and want to get it right the 1st time.

I've never had any troubles with the doorlocks before, but have had them apart in the passenger door, when I replaced the WHOLE door a few years ago.

I'm worried that it could be the alarm or something else - but I do notice that the doorlock **** TRIES to go down, in other words, I can see that the **** moves a little bit...that's why I suspect the actuator itself.

Anyone have an extra one of these laying around??
Old 11-08-2005, 02:47 AM
Hambisa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff;
I presume you checked that the passenger door was firmly shut -- I have had the same experience when one of the doors isn't completely latched. Otherwise, possibly a loose, worn or sticky linkage in the locking assembly of one of the doors.
Good luck tracking it down . . . .
Old 11-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Yup, I neglected to mention that I made sure all doors were closed and tried the keylock from the passenger side...same thing.

I'm fairly convinced that it's the doorlock actuator/plunger...I have yet to check on this part at the dealership. Out of all the problems I could have.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:21 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a car like this once and one of the "wires" in the assembly was bent and creating resistance. When the lock feels the resistance it just unlocks itself to take the strain off of the assembly. I'm not sure it's the same thing but sounds like it. I would think it should be an easy fix... But probably a little time consuming. You'll need to take the door panel off and take a look.

Or... It could be the Porsche Gods trying to send you a message that your car doesn't want you to leave it and that you need to take it out for more driving!
Old 11-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Hey Rick, good to see you got your bowplane spoiler...looks good in RED.

It's possible there's something in the way of the mechanism, I have to slam the door sometimes to get it to latch all the way...so maybe something came apart?

Door panel removal is certainly in order, no doubt...I'll give it a "look-see" over the weekend maybe...as if I don't have enough to do this weekend!
Old 11-08-2005, 05:22 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff, Rick's response is probably right. I just had my locks act up exactly the same way after I adjusted my driver door alignment. My shop pulled the panel and found a loose wire in the assembly. No big deal. If I had the time, I would have done it myself. You Porsche guys really know the idiosyncrasies of the 964. I probably could forget about getting a Bentley 911 Enthusiast Manual and learn enough from this site. I just got my '90 C4 (4th P-car) and would be interested to hear what upgrades you all would recomend. I was thinking about upgrading my suspension system but this C4 has real good suspension as it is. Im also leaning towards a permanent air spoiler but not sure how that integrates with the automatic one that is stock. Anyway, I would be interested in any advice. I do have a chip and sport muffler that came with the car.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:09 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

My car won't lock unless all of the microswitches are made, I know because I've experienced this, luckily for me it was both times the passengers door not closed properly.
I'd start on the switches first.

kevin

Quick Reply: Door Locks...Ca-CHUNK!