Chrsitmas tree and default code

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 12:05 AM
bzh on the loose
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrsitmas tree and default code

Hello you all!

my car does suffer from the "christmas tree" syndrom... Yes i know it will soon be seasonal but still, i intend to get rid of it...hum, sometime soon .

i finally got that the most likely culprit seems to be either the ignition coil or some not so insulated plug wires. My question is : is there a default code for a faulty ignition coil or any other likely source of my Christmas tree? Or i just have to change the ignition coil and see if there is any improvement in the tree situation... any way to detect a faulty ignition coil? Of course i would prefer to change a 50eur item than all those wires...

thank for your "christmas" enlightenment on this
Old 11-04-2005, 09:38 PM
bzh on the loose
Advanced

so....

it seems that there is no way to detect a faulty ignition coil that would create a "christmas tree"?

Is the only thing to do to replace it with a new one and HOPE that it was the culprit for the christmas tree???

any advice welcome.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:44 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

You should be able to determine if it's a coil or an ignition wire simply by observing where the arcing is happening while in the dark. You may have to encourage the arcing by spraying a light mist of water in the suspect areas.

Hope this helps
Bill
90C2
Old 11-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hiya BZH
Coils , caps / rotors , wires ? A small group of suspects .
Have you looked at your motor running in the dark , any sparks near the coils , wires and or caps ? Have you pulled the caps and rotors to have a look see at them ? Tracking , burning , dryness ?
Have you pulled the coils out to have a look see at them ? Tracking , burning , dryness ?
Before you pull the wires off of the caps , take good notes , take digi photos of where all the wires go , its real easy to get mixed up with two caps and 12 wires .
Are you comfortable working on cars ?

How is France ?
When you are in the Phillipines , where do you go or stay ? Ever get near to San Fabian Pangasinan ?
Old 11-05-2005, 12:39 AM
bzh on the loose
Advanced

hi indycam!

i did look at the engine running (reving the engine) in the dark with no results. Since we (my oldman and myself) couldn't see any spark i didn't remove any parts yet but, then, i didn't use the "moisturize" trick. So i guess i'll have to encourage the spark with spraying some mist around all thoses areas... caps, coils, and wire... and hope that the culprit will be "only" the ignition coil!

Is there any risks/danger to drive like that for a little while with the tree illuminated or it is just an annoyance? Oldman has the chore to take the baby out from time to time while i am away...and i am not too sure if he is willing to dig in the engine bay even if he is... ressourceful

France was great this summer. i took delivery of my 964 and felt like 17 again, laughing alone, going outside just to watch the car not being sure it was MY car...and i drove 5000kms plus in less than 3 weeks of various road from wide highways to narrow montain road
As for the Philippines, i live in Angeles city (Pampanga), and the company i work for is located on the former Clark Air Base. Are you a regular visitor of the islands? If so, we definitely have to hook up in AC ...or somewhere else!

thanks for all the advices.
i am trying to figure out how much time i'll have to spend on the baby next time i'll play mecanics... i Already have to change my cracked center rear light. By the way, those should be on the stock market regarding the value of "plastic bits" nowadays...
Old 11-05-2005, 08:22 AM
Rob McConnell
Racer

Hi

I drove mine for about 2 years with the lights, never did it any harm

Thks
Rob
91 964 Cab
Jersey
Old 11-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Bonjour BZH

"hope that the culprit will be "only" the ignition coil! "
When my car had this it was a bad cap .

"Is there any risks/danger to drive like that for a little while with the tree illuminated or it is just an annoyance? "
Yes its a risk and a danger . If you cant see whats really going on via the warning lights you could be missing a real warning . If you get to the point of dissmissing warning lights as normal , when one comes on , you may overlook it . If you are going to fix it , fix it asap , don't put it off , no good will come from running it in a bs way . If you pick up a beauty and go for a drive , she is not going to be inpressed with all the lights .

ImagineAuto has a tune up kit , cheap ,
Price is $ 181.00 , 9,905.23 PHP , 153.240 EUR
Plus shiping.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/235836-imagineauto-is-extending-our-tune-up-kits-sale-until-thanksgiving.html
You will need the tune up kit parts at some point . If you install the tune up kit and it does not fix the Xmas lights , I'll buy you a beer . And you can keep the old parts , if any are still good , as back ups .

"Are you a regular visitor of the islands? "
Never been , but thinking of it . A nurse has invited me .

A guy in texas will make a set of wires for the 964 ,
'89-94 964 (twin plug): $139
he uses beru parts , bulk beru wire and beru tools ,
but you have ta use the old boots .

Last edited by Indycam; 11-05-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:16 AM
skruggs964
Pro

test post. eom
Old 12-05-2005, 03:54 AM
alf964
Intermediate

I had the same problem.
Changed the wire from the two coils to the "distributor"
Never happened again !!

Change it regardless without sparkling in the nights.

best from Norway

Quick Reply: Chrsitmas tree and default code