Steering Rack

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 04:48 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Steering Rack

Took the car out last nite and when I came back noticed a puddle of fluid at the front driver side on the drive Today I checked my PS fluid and it was down a inch or so. I am wondering how hard it is to change the rack out and if anybody has found a reasonable price for a rebuilt rack. I have seen prices from $389-$1200 so they are all over the board.
How hard is it to change out and about how many hours not including a new alignment is usually charged. I am contemplating buying the lift like Wachuko (Jaime) got not to long ago ($1500 +/-) as I have all the parts now to also upgrade the rear brakes and braded SS lines . Maybe doing an install of lowering springs and shocks at the same time. I have no better half to get permission from but need to justify the labor charges to myself as compared to doing all the work myself less alignment covering the lift cost
Any guess of the labor hours charged for these repair/upgrades?
I did a search and pretty much looks like the labor may pay for the lift.
Thanks for any help
Old 10-27-2005, 05:46 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim, did you search the 993 board too? I recall a lot of discussion a year or so ago there when Kim changed his.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:50 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I searched over there Tom and couldnt find the thread. All I see is its bunches of money to fix the darn thing and its a fairly common problem.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:38 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did a search and couldn't find it either. I guess I'm getting too old and the memory is starting to go.

You might just give Bob Brooks a call. I'm not sure what he's up to since he moved from Sunny SF to FL, but he can sure tell you what it takes.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:57 PM
badcar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This procedure is fresh in my memory...just had this done. The great guys at Eurosport Ltd. did my work here in Denver and I was billed for 2 and 1/2 hours total, plus alignment. Extra parts that need to be replaced were the boots and one tie rod that had soaked in the ATF fluid and destroyed the rubber. I was debating the the install my self, but not having the proper lift and tools to deal with the tie-rod. Shops quoting you more are hopefully giving you more.......

good luck
Mark
Old 10-28-2005, 06:51 PM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I did mine this summer using the procedure at http://p-car.com/diy/steering/ as a guideline. The procedure is for a 993 but works . I got the rack (Porsche refurbished) for $200 on eBay and it works great.

The whole job took the best part of a day, was a bit fiddly but not technically challenging. I'd agree with p-car that it's about an 7-8 out of 10 on the DIY difficulty list.

Good luck,

Jim G.

Quick Reply: Steering Rack