Sponsored by:

Problem with side skirt

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 02:24 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem with side skirt

She’s coming loose, looks like a retainer of some kind is gone. Has anyone had this happen? How do I fix this?
THX, in advance Don
Attached Images   
Old 10-16-2005, 02:45 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Don,

there are several small plastic clips in there, You can get them for a couple of dollars from the OPC, get a couple of spares as well, they always break.
I would also whilst you are there replace that side seal, it looks a bit short. again just a few dollars,

And if there's any rust, do that too.

kevin.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The small plastic clips bolt to the car and the side skirt has plastic tabs molded into it that mate with the clips. On my sail panel (the side skirt piece behind the door) the tabs are what broke. The sail panel itself is rather expensive, about $150 plus painting, so I am in the process of the using epoxy to permanently attach the clip to the panel and then put it on the car in one piece and attach the nuts that hold the clips. Oddly enough, there are two clips for the sail panel and only one will hold with the epoxy, the other I have now done three times and it always pops back off after remounting. I am going to try a different epoxy tomorrow.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:11 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a related problem. Just a couple tips on the glue.

Get a good quality plastic epoxy. look at the strength numbers and get a good brand. Quick cure usually means lower strength.

in prep you need to clean it very well. This is the most important thing. I used a wire wheel on a Dremel to clean off everything and rough the surface up. So far so good (of course i probably jinxed myself by saying that).
Old 10-17-2005, 03:05 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, I'll try the dremel tool on the surface. I was using 24 hours to full cure epoxy (4 hour set). Although the one clip that is holding was done with 90 second epoxy and has held for several months now. The other one did not hold with either epoxy.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:41 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the RHS you may find there's a bit of oil making the adhesive work less well. Some of the oil lines to the thermostat may sweat and some of it finds its way to the panels. Make sure to get the surface perfectly clean and dry, roughed up, and then use an oil-resistant adhesive designed for automotive use. There's also more stress on the front clip than the back, at least on my car...Next time I think I'll use industrial strength Velcro strips, given how many times that shark's fin has needed removing lately!
Old 10-17-2005, 03:53 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I used Amazing Goop, and despite the dorky name, it has worked very well for about 6 months now.

It was a slow cure (4 hours) but I let it sit for about 48 hours before putting the car back together.

Marc

Quick Reply: Problem with side skirt