Sponsored by:

Cold Idle surge, ? on warm idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 02:05 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Idle surge, ? on warm idle

OK, I've searched the threads but the number of hits on "cold idle" is overwhelming and no titles would indicate a similar issue.

1. From a cold start, either overnight or after work sitting all day, the car starts right up, stays running and the idle surges between 700-1200 rpms for about 30-40 seconds. Is this unusual?

2. After that, the idle settle into its usual place at an indicated 800+ rpms. Much closer to 800 then 900. Is this in an acceptable range?

Recently I've:

Replaced the distributor belt
new caps/rotors
have not seen spark arching in the dark
plugs have about 7K miles on them
cleaned the MAF
cleaned the ISV
added a K&N cone filter (this had no effect one way or another to the idle issues.)
Old 10-13-2005, 02:14 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Sounds like you are having trouble while it is running in open loop mode when cold. For a short while it runs without the oxygen sensor so idle can be a bit rough. That said mine is very stable, even when started from sitting for a cpl weeks.

If you have not, first thing I would do is a dme reset. Most people seem to like taking the battery loose for a while (hours?) then plugging it back in and taking the car for a hard drive. If you did all that to it (repairs) and did not reset it, that could be all that you need to do.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:08 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Default Gave the DME a reset

Went out this morning and pulled the battery cable while at work. Went out at lunch for a reset kind of drive after having the battery disconnected for a few hours.

Started right up and idle immediately settled on about 900 indicated. Drove off, warmed up the engine and went for a spirited drive.

The idle has settled into a nice smooth 800+ indicated. It is not close to 880 or 900. I should attach a tach to check against mine as I could just be reading low.

If the idle is truly 800, not 880, whats next to resolve? Where should I be looking? The car runs very well, pulls strong and has nothing happening that is disconcerting. However if the idle isn't where it's supposed to be, something is off, right?
Old 10-13-2005, 05:56 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

sounds like all is well. Could be your tach is just a bit off calibration. Could be the car is idling at 800 instead of 880.

If its smooth (the idle), doesnt cut off on you when you push the clutch in, and isnt too high (950+ or so for my tastes) then i'd be happy.

If you are worried about it you could verify the idle switch is working then clean out the idle control valve. i'm sure you can find a thread about that on here somewhere.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:11 PM
Slappy
Racer

Dang ... if ... "The car runs very well, pulls strong and has nothing happening that is disconcerting" and "The idle has settled into a nice smooth 800+ indicated" ... I would leave well enough alone. YMMV.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:20 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

I would leave well enough alone.

Fair enough. I think this goes back to the the Trust thread.

I think I almost read too much here as I'm nervous about ignoring something simple that should be paid attention to.

However, the drive after reset was a nice diversion during lunch time. I left the building a bit grumpy with all the crap and came back with the sunroof open and a smile on my face from playing on the freeway on-ramps. I guess if 30 minutes of fast driving is the only cost of my concerns...I got it made.

Quick Reply: Cold Idle surge, ? on warm idle