Sponsored by:

how critical are the updates?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 07:09 PM
nostatic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post how critical are the updates?

I'm going to look at a '90 C2 w/88K. It is the 2nd owner, and they claim regular maintenance. They have not changed the flywheel though (unless the original owner did)...don't know about the distributor vent. The owner claims the car has run perfectly. How important is the flywheel upgrade? I suppose I can use it as a bargaining point...how much does the job cost at a good shop? He's asking $24K. I will of course do a PPI if I like it (anyone know of good shops in the Thousand Oaks/San Fernando Valley?).
Old 08-23-2001, 09:12 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi nostatic,

"I suppose I can use it as a bargaining point."

I think that is exactly what you should do. If the DMF goes out, it goes out.

A clutch job should cost you around $1200 to $1700. Add the cost of the DMF to that--around $700-$800. Brings you to $1900 on the low end, $2500 on the high end.

Speaking of whether or not upgrades must be performed ... In Excellence magazine's Readers Sales Report (11/2001), someone described the '90 C4 they had just bought: "21,860 miles ... no engine updates, but the engine runs great and does not leak anywhere .... purchased for $30,000." Bruce A. follows up: "It sounds like this was a good buy at $30,000 for a low-mileage example, but will need the engine updates!

Now, why would anyone go out and update their heads, if they're dry ?? I have to assume Bruce wasn't talking about the vent kit only, since he said updates (plural). Last month it was the $700-$850 "minor" service, and now this. Don't misunderstand me--I respect Bruce A. immensely--but it does seem like he needs to proofread what he writes a bit more carefully.

As for your PPI, TRE Motorsports is a well respected shop in Hollywood, not too far from the San Fernando Valley.
Old 08-23-2001, 09:30 PM
JonSeigel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds good, expect for your comment that the current owner "*claims* regular maintenance." Does he have documentation of this? If not, either (1) pass or (2) use it as an additional bargaining chip.

Good Luck,

Jon
Old 08-23-2001, 11:14 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If I was looking at that '90 with 88k on it, I would automatically leave $2000 in my repair fund to replace a clutch and flywheel if there are no records showing any type of previous work to that area. If the clutch and flywheel are original yet, you'll need to do that repair at some point if you keep the car awhile.

The distributor vent kit should be installed, but that's $12 in parts and an hour in labor max. I'd also automatically get the distributor belt replaced anyway for $150 on any car that had 88,000 miles. Minor stuff.

If this car is in very nice shape, $24k is buying quite a bit of car for relatively little money.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Jay
90 964
Old 08-24-2001, 04:15 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Randall:

I assume you've seen the survey and possibly even my conclusions on the smartgroups site about the leaks on 964s. If not, look at them.

Bruce Anderson used to state that "only a small amount" of the cars had the leak. Now he seems to have changed his tune to almost 100% have this problem. Where's he getting his information from?

Maybe we should, as a group, send Mr. Anderson a letter or e-mail clarifying his results...PARTICULARLY on a car with only 21.8K on the clock!!!!

Later,

Bill Wagner
Old 08-24-2001, 05:04 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

It is always better to ask 964 owners than rely on people and magazines who are using unverified second and third hand opinions in order to make a story and sell their product.
As Bill says where is this information coming from. The answer will always be "reliable sources".
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 08-24-2001, 11:26 AM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nostatic,

My car doesn't have the flywheel upgrade. It has 83,000 miles on it, and is running great.

Since you now that the car you're looking at has the original flywheel, and we all know that it's an early 964, have the PPI mechanic look at it very carefully. Also, have them check the distributor belt. If there's any doubt, factor that into your offering price. I think a rebuilt distributor will still run around $400 - $500.

Good luck -- sounds like you're going into this with your eyes wide open, so you're way ahead of the game already.

-- Melissa
Old 08-24-2001, 03:30 PM
John K
Intermediate

I think I just looked at the same car. It was pretty rough. The seller claimed it never leaked any oil but the driveway (not garaged!) had multiple spots. The cowling under the engine was also oily. My trust level dropped a few notches after that.
Be careful.
Old 08-24-2001, 04:32 PM
nostatic
Instructor

Yeah, I looked at the car today. Not interested. It was my first 964 though, and I have to say I'm impressed. A lot more power and refinement than a late 80's Carrera. Now I've got a dilemma though...

I found a TOTALLY clean '88 Carrera. The owner is great, the car is immaculate, and we've agreed on a price of $21K (103K miles). I have to admit though, the 964 seems like it is a better fit for me...BUT I suspect I will have a tough time finding a really nice one for less than $25K. So the question is get the '88 and drive it for a year, squirrel away some more money, then get a 964 after that.

It really comes down to, buy a really clean '88 or a rough 964. I think I know the answer to that one, but I figured I'd ask.
Old 08-24-2001, 05:48 PM
John K
Intermediate

If you're possibly interested in an 89 Carrera (Silver Anniversary edition, 76K miles, VERY clean) I can get you the contact info. I was tempted to buy it but I've decided to go with a 964. It may cost a little more (closer to $25K) but the mileage and condition may be worth it to you.
Let me know.

Quick Reply: how critical are the updates?