Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get this damn headlight out??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 02:36 AM
wormzz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get this damn headlight out??

Guys, I need to change a bulb in the head light, but cannot comprehend how to get to it!!
I was advised to take off the lens from outside, but just can't make it. There is one screw at the bottom of the lens rim, having that uncsrewed doesn't help much, the rim sits tight on place.

Any tips, how to do that?

Andrei
----
C2 '91
Old 10-10-2005, 03:01 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andrei,

Your profile doesn't mention where you are. If you are in the US your car will probably have the H5 headlights with the central fixing screw at the bottom and visible adjustment screws at the side. Removing the bottom screw should allow you to unhook the unit from the top rim and lift off (upwards). It may help to place the edge of a piece of wood under the outside edge of the rim and gently "persuade" it with a wooden mallet.

If you have a ROW car you will have H4 headlights with the trim ring and covered adjustment screws. In this case the bottom screw releases the trim ring and then there is a bigger screw in that location (which the trim ring retaining screw screws into) which can be removed with a large flat bladed screwdriver. THAT screw then releases the headlamp unit in the same way as the H5 unit.

BTW If you put your location in your profile it helps with location-specific problems like this.

Regards

Dave
Old 10-10-2005, 08:04 AM
seaeagle
Advanced

Lightbulb Seaeagle

Further to this informatve answer as I am on the same project, just wondering is the H5 a better light, and can it go straight into a H4 setting for ROW car? Is there any better and simple to install upgrades to get maximum light as in commonplace on modern cars.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:50 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

H4's are superior lights to the US-spec H5's. I upgraded from H5's to H4's and have been very happy with them.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:52 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

On my H4 units, having undone the small screw for the painted trim ring, I had to gently 'thump' the ring with my fist, to loosen it - it had been sitting there a long time, and didn't want to move..
..same with the unit itself. I undid the big slotted screw, and gave it a few thumps before getting my fingertips around it and heaving - it finally came off!
Old 10-10-2005, 08:54 AM
wormzz
Track Day

Very descriptive answer, thanks!

-Andrei
Old 10-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andrei:

I got myself in a jam this weekend on this same project!!!

I have a US '89 C4. The screw at the bottom of the trim ring (1st screw to remove will loosen, just a bit rusty). After this is removed. the trim ring will lift off the car, but it is held in place by a metal lip at the top of the ring, so lift up on the ring-from the bottom, to remove.

Next there are 4 screws which hold the headlamp assembly to the frame. On my car, they all have a phillips recess. I stripped one of these! In hind sight, I may have sprayed a thread lubricant on these before loosening. Also, each of these 4 screws has a plastic retaining ring on the backside-don't lose...very helpful during reinstall.

Once the lamp assembly is out, I had to spin a plastic star nut counter-clockwise to remove the bulb.

Good luck, I finished one side then stripped the first screw on the other side.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:17 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this thread for how to remove your headlights...
https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-964-1989-1994-911/197272-how-to-clean-your-headlights.html
Brian
Old 10-10-2005, 07:42 PM
DerkBarrington
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On mine, the screws were stuck so tight that they broke off when I came on to them. Now it looks likeI will have to drill the remainder of the screws out.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:05 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one screw snap off on the inside of mine. I was able to get the snaped off screw out with a pair of pliers. The lamps took a bit of pulling to get them to pop out. They stick to the rubber gasket over time.

Quick Reply: How to get this damn headlight out??