Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does it matter where I get my car aligned?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does it matter where I get my car aligned?

I'm looking to get an alignment since the 964 needs one badly, but since I'm kind of new here, I'm not familiar with any Porsche shops around here other than the Princeton Porsche dealer. Any of them that I've heard of are at least an hour away... I am wondering if it would make a difference if I took the car to Sears for an alignment? Or should I just pay twice the price at Princeton Porsche?

My 964 is lowered to about RS height if that makes a difference.

Thnx,
Harry
Old 10-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Princeton porsche will do a good job... not sure sure about sears. Why not take it to one of the local shops like Power-tech (www.prw-tech.com) or Precision (Will DiGiovanni, Califon NJ. 908-832-6572)
Old 10-09-2005, 09:20 PM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

Originally Posted by Euromagination
I'm looking to get an alignment since the 964 needs one badly, but since I'm kind of new here, I'm not familiar with any Porsche shops around here other than the Princeton Porsche dealer. Any of them that I've heard of are at least an hour away... I am wondering if it would make a difference if I took the car to Sears for an alignment? Or should I just pay twice the price at Princeton Porsche?

My 964 is lowered to about RS height if that makes a difference.

Thnx,
Harry
You definately need to take it to a shop that is familiar with Porsche's. NOT SEARS. If you belong to the Porsche Club of America, www.pca.org, you can contact your division and they are a great source for service recommendations.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:16 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Very definately go to a shop with a good reputation for doing Porsches. I had a tie rod separate because some yokel unscrewed the wrong part trying to set the toe-in. I was in a parking lot going slow, and it broke loose because I hit a drainage dip at a funny angle. The week before I was at triple digit speed on a mountain road. Go with a pro.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:39 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 460 Posts

Reminds me of about 10 years ago I took my 65 911 to Bee Line Alignment. They put it up on the rack, and started beating on the adjuster nuts without loosening the trailing arm bolts. Needless to say I got my car outta' there ASAP before they broke anything! Yikes!!! Do as the other guys say - go somewhere qualified and familiar with Porsches (yes sir, it is two syllables!!)
Old 10-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
Princeton porsche will do a good job... not sure sure about sears. Why not take it to one of the local shops like Power-tech (www.prw-tech.com) or Precision (Will DiGiovanni, Califon NJ. 908-832-6572)
Yeah, I've spoken with the guys at Power Tech. That's the shop back here in NJ that I will be taking my car to for any work that I can't do. But as I said above, it's over an hour away from where I live. I was trying to weasel out of that far drive just for an alignment, but I guess I can't.

I don't know where Califon is, but I'll look on a map. LOL

Looks like I'll just go to Princeton Porsche since it's just a few miles from me. I'd rather pay twice the price for convenience of driving 5 miles rather than 65 each way. Thnx guys.

-Harry
Old 10-10-2005, 11:43 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

You can try "Autotechnik" in Pennington. I bought my car there 3 years ago. They are an indy shop, but I don't know if they do alignment. I personally have not used them for any service after the sale.They do host the local PCA chapter. Probably worth a call.

www.autotechnik.com
Old 10-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One rennlister (NJ-GT) I know has nothing but good things to say about princeton porsche doing alignments on his GT3.

Quick Reply: Does it matter where I get my car aligned?