How do you clean your engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 09:45 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you clean your engine?

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone out there has cleaned their engine. Mine doesn't really need to, but it would be a nice thing to do eventually. There are a few oil stains close to the oil filler pipe, I guess these will need some type of degreaser?

I have used "Gunk" on my other car, but on reading Porky's instruction manual it says that it comes from the factory with special protective waxes etc on the engine, and I wouldn't want to remove these.

I think OPCs can do this job but would imagine they charge stupid amounts for it.

Any past experience much apreciated as usual.
Old 08-20-2001, 10:23 AM
GeoC2cab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

High Riccardo,
Gunk is not a bad choise for an engine cleaner, I use the foamy Gunk engine cleaner(according to directions) twice a year(after a service,before winter storage) and in between those Gunks I wipe the engine(every part i can see) after each washing(once a week), and twice a year I apply a plastic/rubber protectant(like low gloss armorall) by hand to everythinng i can see and reach, My engine is IMMACULATE,I,ve been using this method for 10 yrs now, and no matter who looks at my engine(mechanic,freind,porsche people)their jaws hit the ground, How'd ya do that?
I once tryed a spray protectant(like a rubber coating one)and it made a mess, I ended up taking it off immediately and was picking little chunks of rubber off it for months.I think the main reason Porsche used the engine protector is for the trip on the boat during importing.I treat my engine compartment as I do my paint, and It is constantly kept cleaned, Its a part of my washing routine.Even if you use the car in crappy weather, just keep it clean and you shouldnt have any problems. Congratulations on your new purchase!!********964's rule*****
************************Geo
Old 08-22-2001, 07:26 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Thanks Geo,

Sounds like you could probably eat your dinner off your engine!

Just some questions though. The Gunk instructions indicate to warm engine up, apply, leave 10 mins and then use hose to remove.

Do you use a hose directly on the engine? What parts (if any) do you cover with plactic bags? Doesn't any water hang around?

Thanks again
Old 08-22-2001, 07:36 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Riccardo,
There are many ways to clean to your engine. I cheat a little. I use aircraft engine degreaser in a special rig. I then steam clean (also a special rig with very nice directional spray nozzles) making sure not to blast the electrical systems or the ignition systems.
Takes a little practice.
The stuff I use is Turco Cleaner but this is quite expensive. Have you an airfield nearby. Get to know some mechanics at one of the maintenance companies. They might be nicely set up to help out.
I admire people like Geo who take such care of their own engines. I have seen a couple of 964 owners who really make their engines shine. I do not have the time for this treatment but I do admit they make me feel guilty sometimes. Especially when I see those fan blades shine. My excuse is that the engine lid stays shut and nobody can see in there anyway.
I clean my engine before winter and after winter,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 08-22-2001, 11:55 AM
GeoC2cab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

high Riccardo,
I use the Foamy Gunk on a cold engine because there's not that much dirt when I start, If there is alot of oil and dirt I probably would let it warm up a little. I let it sit on the engine only for a few minutes(5 give or take). And use a very light water stream from a hose w/ adjustable pressure nozzle.The only item I cover w/a plastic bag is the air box,and i dont spray the distributor to hard.I park on a slight incline of my drive way w/ the engine furthest downhill so all the water and gunk drain well. After that I dry every bit of water I can see w/ a clean towel and then start it immediatly and go for a short drive so the engine heat will dry anything i miss. When it cools I'll apply my protectant try using some wax on your fan,and blue magic on the metal you can see(i.e.engine mounts).
Dont forget the inside of your engine cover with regular car wash before you start.
I probablly should eat dinner off my engine because I have three young boys and my engine is definatly cleaner than the kitchen table!LOL*************964's*************
*************rule**************
How'd ya do that???
Old 08-27-2001, 01:59 PM
John K
Intermediate

Has anybody tried Simple Green to clean their engine? I've used this for a couple years and it seems to work well. If you have a build-up of armor all on your tires it will also remove that.
Old 08-27-2001, 02:43 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've used Eiman Fabrik citrus degreaser and it works pretty well for a general cleaning. It's quick and easy and generally cleans out the dust and grime.

I now clean the engine by hand and the results are *nice*. I use an old towel that I cut into small squares. I put a square into surgical tongs for grip and to reach into hard to reach places. Depending on which part I'm cleaning, I use Vinylex, degreaser, or water to clean off the engine part. I also use Q-Tips to get the nooks and crannies. I usually start with the large parts (airbox, manifold, fan) and then go back to clean the smaller areas.

It takes about an hour but it looks MUCH better than applying degreaser and spraying down IMO. I still degrease and spray down every once and a while to clean the lower parts of the engine though. My wife thinks I'm insane.

Quick Reply: How do you clean your engine?