Sponsored by:

How Much Should I Pay? (93RSA)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 11:12 PM
Bernard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How Much Should I Pay? (93RSA)

I had a chance to buy the car I have always wanted a 911.

Over the weekend I looked at a black 93 RS America with A/C, sunroof, locking diff and only 35k miles, the car drove very well and had good power The only things I saw wrong with it was the left quarter has been repainted and the body has some small scratches and some on one of the wheel and a small crack on the rear spoiler and some acid rain which should be able to be wet sanded out.

It's a two owner car with most of the records, the second owner had the 30K miles service done.

What would be a fair price to pay for it?
Old 08-14-2001, 03:27 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The RSA is a relatively rare car, but it doesn't really mean it will command top dollar. Last summer I looked at an RSA with about 35K on the clock and it was listed (in August of 2000) by a dealership at $54,000.00. In late December I got a call from the salesman who let me look at the car back in August and he told me the price had been reduced to $34,500.00. I believe the car sold for a little less than that. The car was a 1993 RSA with all options one could have installed. I live in the Washington DC area, so the prices tend to be fairly high (but not as bad as CA).

If your serious about the car, get a PPI done AND since it's been (apparently) wrecked, get the body work and frame checked out. It sort of sounds like it might have been used for racing...perhaps aggressive racing at that.

Hope this helps,

Bill Wagner
Old 08-14-2001, 08:10 AM
Bernard
Pro

Bill, Thanks for the info.
Old 08-15-2001, 01:47 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Bernard, Got to the RSAmerica website rsamerica.net, there are a few cars for sale on the page. Most of these are in top condition and will be commanding high $ but it will give you a idea of whats out there. I agree with Bill, and would personally look for a car with no damage at all. Although they are relativily rare they are still available. There is a silver 93 on the website that looks great and is reasonably priced. Also there is one in CA that dosen't have air if you don't live where you need it. I think you can still find it on the Porsche Classifieds Digest... Good hunting, these are great cars.
Old 08-15-2001, 03:49 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

I should add that prices for 911s in my area tend to bottom out in the winter and reach their highest levels in the summer. The dealership I was talking to DID actually move some RSAs out for some pretty high dollars in the summer.

Good Luck,

Bill Wagner
Old 08-17-2001, 10:32 PM
Bernard
Pro

Thanks for the web page. I don't have to buy an RS America it was just the first clean low mileage one I came across.

I do know I want to buy a 93 or 94 so I don't have to worry about some of the problems the early cars had.
Old 08-18-2001, 03:45 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bernard:

I wouldn't rule out some of the earlier cars to avoid the problems they're known for. On the "smartgroups" web site a survey was done that I'm in the process of breaking down. It had to do with the ultra-expensive cylinder leak problems found on some of the early 964s. This problem can, in my opinion, genuinely be dismissed as being a "rare" problem, and it seems to be most prevalent on 1990 models. It tends to show up when the cars have VERY high mileage...like over 100K miles.

The other "infamous" problem is the Freudenberg dual mass flywheel. As far as I'm concerned, a statistical study doesn't need to be done on that....it's TOO obvious a problem from what I've seen.

If you track your serial numbers properly, a car from about 1/2 way through the 1991 production run will have the engine upgrades that prevent cylinder leakage, and if such a car had already had a LUK replacement for the Freudenberg (which is likely), such a car MAY turn out to be a decent buy. You can get a good deal on an early 964....you just need to know what to look for.

In my opinion, the ONLY real drawback of the 964 is the Freudenberg DMF. If it's been replaced, or was a car installed with a LUK at the factory (I think in 1992) then the car will likely be no worse than no other 964.

High mileage and age will be more of a concern in my opinion. With wear come leaks and component failures...not a "Porsche thing"....it applies to every car ever made by anyone (DON'T ask me how much I poured into my Toyota MR2 "overhaul toy" several years ago ).

Just my opinions, and good luck,

Bill Wagner
Old 08-18-2001, 11:14 AM
Bernard
Pro

Bill, I'm not saying their is anything wrong with the early ones but this will be my first 911 and I would hate to start having problems with it, so that is why I would like to get the newest and low mileage one I can afford.
Old 08-19-2001, 10:39 AM
Bernard
Pro

I looked at a 93 coupe black/tan with 47K miles with seven options very clean in and out it has the vent kit installed with a production date of 7/92 does this car fall into the updated factory head gasket and fly wheel issue?

The asking price is 35K but they will take $34 for it what do you guy think.

I just want to thank everyone with all of the infomation I have got on this page as I said this is my first 911 and I want to make sure I get the right one.
Old 08-20-2001, 04:15 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bernard:

The factory head gaskets started being installed in January 1991. The LUK flywheels replaced the Freudenberg's in the 1992 production run. RSAs should not have either of these problems.

I live in the Washington D.C. area. In this area that would be a decent price. Get a PPI done and have it inspected for collision damage if you're interested in buying the car.

Good Luck,

Bill Wagner

Quick Reply: How Much Should I Pay? (93RSA)