Sponsored by:

My fuel gauge says empty.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 01:00 AM
MDH
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post My fuel gauge says empty.....

...but it's not. Yesterday, everything was fine - today my fuel gauge went haywire. Put the key in the ignition and I noticed the low fuel warning light was blinking and the gauge reads below the "E". The tank in my 91 C2 is nearly full. All other gauges behave normal and no other warning lights are on. I assume this probably narrows the problem down to the level indicator mechanism in the tank. Anyone ever dealt with this kind of thing before? Is it likely to be mechanical or electical?
Old 08-12-2001, 02:31 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
I had the float stick on the fuel sender on my 84 (I think the setup is the same). When we switched to oxygenated fuels the varnish on the inside of the tank was cleaned off and decided to gunk up the sender unit. It has a small float that rides on a brass tube with a reostatic wire adjacent to it. I pulled it out of the top of the tank (simple to do) and cleaned it with carb cleaner and presto. This was after checking the guage by disconnecting the wire at the sender and getting a change in the guage reading. If your tank if full either drain it down or wait until you have emptied it below halfway. (how you will know that without a gauge I'd like to know...)Good luck.
Old 08-12-2001, 02:41 AM
MDH
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. It would seem if it was the float, it would get stuck where ever the fuel level was at the time (not at empty) - but if it's easy to yank out, I may try that anyway and have a look.
Old 08-16-2001, 12:35 AM
gregC2
Instructor

Angry

I had to replace the sender in my '91 C2, as it was going flakey, also. I think mine was having the "low gas" light on when it still had at least a half tank full. Don't remember the technical reason about the cause but replacing sender fixed my instance of it. $.02 worth.
Old 08-16-2001, 02:19 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's probably electrical, and it could be as simple as wires being loose on the connectors to the sender. I'd get the wiring checked first before pulling the sender out.

Just my opinions,

Bill Wagner
Old 08-16-2001, 05:40 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Open the trunk and pull out the carpet from the area over the fuel tank. On the left hand side of the tank you will see a white plastic receptacle and in this is mounted a connector. Pull this connector out, dry it if necessary, check there is no water around the plug and push it back on again. Condensation is a major problem around the plastic fuel tank. Somethimes this water gets into the connector and you have the problem. The connector can also be loose if you have done any work around there earlier.
Pull off the connector (with power off of course) and reconnect. If the problem continues I would check for bad wiring up to the indicator. More than likely is is water inside the fuel tank and the water is messing up the sender. If not, replace the sender.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: Same happened to me. I pull the connector, dried it, dried the tank connections, reinstalled it made sure the connector was fully seated and problem was gone.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:35 PM
unka
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

an old thread but still...
I have the same problem on my c4 -90.
What was the problem and does anyone have an idea?

Erik Storckenfeldt

Quick Reply: My fuel gauge says empty.....