Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLywheel/Clutch Change-Now slight vibration-Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 03:33 PM
asbi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLywheel/Clutch Change-Now slight vibration-Help Needed!

All,
Had my clutch and flywheel changed last week at 63k miles, was still on the original Freudenberg and Clutch!

Stayed with DMF f/wheel, LUK item sourced OEM channel with official OPC clutch made by AP.

Car feels a lot more positive although I notice if I rev the engine under no load up to 3-4k revs I get a SLIGHT resonant vibration through the car which wasn't there before.

As far as I can see there are two possibilities, either the clutch/flywheel assembly is out of balance/true or something else has changed.

Wrench is going to check the clutch/flywheel next week with a dial gauge, he will also check the runout on the crank pulley. My question to you all is this - given that he didn't drop the engine, he did the job removing the gearbox only could it be possible that he has somehow strained the rear engine mounts when dropping the engine slightly to get to the top bolts? I am thinking that when everything is bolted back together this could then explain why more vibration is being transmitted through the car. we have tried all the obvious stuff like part of the engine touching the body etc..

Any ideas gratefully received, I stress that the vibration is SLIGHT, like a resonant "thrum" but it wasn't there before,
Thanks
Kevin.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Kevin,
My only advice is to take the 964 back and ask for the job to be done properly. Remove the engine and transmission, split it, remove the clutch and flywheel and have it reassembled and torqued correctly all at his cost.
The engine removal adds 20 to 40 minutes to the job.
How people manage to align the clutch fork properly in these situations amazes me. How people can reach all the bolts and torque them correctly as well is also open to question.
Oh by the way, if the engine is not supported and is left hanging at an angle off the engine mounts, yes it will likely damage them. They are supposed to go up and down not support weight at an angle.
Clearly the guy does not use the factory workshop manual or maybe he thinks he knows better.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:55 AM
asbi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adrian,
Thanks for the advice, I concur.

The guy is very well respected locally but obviously in this case something has gone wrong. I will take your suggestion on board and also ask him to replace the rear engine mounts whilst he has the engine out just in case they have interior damage,

Thanks,
Kevin.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:11 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Kevin,
Just watch out for the additional charges.
I believe that if a professional shop charges somebody for work, and doesn't, for whatever reason follow the correct workshop procedures for said work and something goes wrong, they are in my opinion fully liable to make good the job without additional charges.
Doesn't matter how respected or professional they are you are paying for the job to be done once, and properly.
Ciao,
Adrian.

Quick Reply: FLywheel/Clutch Change-Now slight vibration-Help Needed!