Sponsored by:

What a result!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Seight
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a result!

After having said I wouldn't modify the car as it always goes too far.....

The car was already lowered when I bought it and looks great. However, recently the cat started to buzz a bit at low revs so I decided to replace it with a by-pass pipe. At the same time I bought a titanium strut-brace (both items from ebay) for the front.
I had these fitted to the car on Friday and what a result! The cat by-pass is a subtle change, slightly less muffled sound but not much louder (don't like it loud) and a DEFINITE but subtle change in throttle response and engine breathing. Much nicer response all through the revs.
What really got me going though was the strut-brace. It has TOTALLY transformed the handling. The slightly vague, understeery feeling on high speed bends has GONE, body roll is approx 50% reduced and the turn-in to slow and fast corners is transformed beyond all my expectations. It has that true go-kart feeling that my old 3.2 had. That's the end of mods for me for now, as the car is simply a joy to drive. See some of you guys on the 30th.....

Cheers
Alex
Old 10-03-2005, 05:30 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Alex - nice! You should really come to Goodwood tomorrow to test the strut brace properly!
Old 10-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Hmm..Does all the heat sheilding get replaced too, with a cat bypass? Mine rattles too, the studs are long gone. Tempting!

The jury's been out for strut braces here at Rennlist for a while. Why didn't Porsche fit them? etc. Sounds like you're pretty convinced though! Are you a twoey or a fourey?

And; about those mirrors..
Old 10-03-2005, 06:08 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Cat was buzzing and it turned out to be the heat shields, I just took them all off and it seems ok now. I agree the front strut braces do have a positve effect on the way the car turns in.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:53 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny G Pipe
Does all the heat sheilding get replaced too, with a cat bypass? Mine rattles too, the studs are long gone. Tempting!
When I had my cat bypass pipe fitted, the heat sheilds were left off. Suppose it doesn't get as hot when you've not got the catalyst internals.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:00 AM
Seight
Instructor

The heat shields were not replaced. As Andy says, the pipe is not quite as hot as the cat gets, also it is further away from bodywork, components etc...due to it's reduced diameter. By the way it still has the oxygen sensor.
My car is a Carerra 4 so the understeer issue was more than a 2. The car really has lost that understeer though and yes I'll get it on a track sometime to really test it out, although I know where that leads too - I ended up doing three seasons of racing off the back of doing track days some years back. Can't afford that anymore unfortunately!
Anyway, I would definitely recommend a strut brace to all Carrera 4 owners out there.
Oh, and by the way I actually prefer the flag mirrors to cups! Honestly!

Cheers
Alex
Old 10-05-2005, 07:51 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No shame in admiting to prefer flags..... you may well start a flood of admissions now that you mention it. Cups are just a bit to 'modern'.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:59 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only replaced my flag mirrors to reduce weight...
Old 10-05-2005, 10:07 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Alex- you got me looking at the strut brace pretty seriously. Hope to get one installed within a week or so. Thanks for the prompting
Old 10-06-2005, 05:25 AM
Seight
Instructor

Hawk, let me know what you think after you've fitted and road tested.

Cheers
Alex
Old 10-06-2005, 06:58 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I'm with Alex on the strut-brace, except for the roll-reduction (my car had very little roll anyway) - better turn-in, reduced understeer (most of the time, I wasn't really aware of it before, but I realise now it's gone!), generally much sharper handling.

Quick Reply: What a result!