Fire Extinguisher Mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 06:55 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fire Extinguisher Mount

I recently attended a PCA Driver's Ed with a friend in his beautiful 993. He had a very cool looking fire extinguisher mounted on the passenger seat rails.

I think it was mfg by Brey-Krause:
<a href="http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r2016.php" target="_blank">Brey Krause Fire Extinguisher Mount</a>

Anyone got one in their 964? Photos and installation stories welcomed!
Old 11-06-2002, 07:43 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, similar to the roll bar thread, let's see what the PCA Club Racing rules have to say on the topic:
[quote] 6. A 2-1/2 lb. or larger fire extinguisher capable of extinguishing B/C type fires, securely metal-to-metal mounted in the cockpit in a safe location convenient to the driver while seated and restrained is required. An on-board fire suppression system is strongly recommended.<hr></blockquote>
The part about reaching the device while strapped in leads me to believe that the floor mount isn't the best choice. Maybe YOU can reach the floor while strapped in, Terry, but I know I have a hard time closing the door once I've buckled the harness.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:10 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 60 Posts
I have the Brey-Krause mount and I can tell you that it installs easily. One issue for me was that I bought some race seats with custom brackets and the BK mount did not interoperate. I moved my mount to the roll bar at that point.

Until you're ready for Club Racing, I think its a great solution. Chances are - if you're in need of using your fire extinguisher - the first thing you'll want to do is get out of your restraints anyway.

The BK bracket is not that expensive and you could always resell it if you decide to club race or change your seats such that you need to move it.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:11 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Joey - that was very useful. I'll have to see if I can reach the passenger seat floor board area from the driver's seat. At 6' tall and 185lbs, I've got a reach. Is it enough, we'll see.

Mounting it directly under the drivers feet is a no-no as it would get in the way of driving. I guess mounting on roll cage or harness bar would be preferable.

I think Jack's onto something. I'm still pretty new to the whole motorsports game. I think floor mounting is the most cost effective way to get started, albeit not the best long-term solution possible.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2002, 09:44 PM
Kurt in SFO
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts
I mounted mine bolted to the passenger floor (sorry -- no pics. I'll see if I can shoot some tonight). I had the same problem as Jack with the under-seat mounts on the Sparco seats. Going by the letter of the law on PCA rules, my mounting point isn't strictly legal, as I can't reach it while belted in. So far, tech has passed it.

That having been said, seems to me that the implication of the rule stating that you have to be able to reach the extinguisher while belted in makes the assumption that a) your car's on fire. b) you're electing to stay and fight the fire from within your restraints.

I don't know about you, but I'm gettin' the hell out if it's burnin'.

I suppose the argument could be made that you could be upside down, unable to get the restraints unlocked, or otherwise trapped in your restraints in a burning car. If that happens, someone can tell my charred remains "I told you so".

- Kurt

1990 C2 3.8l

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher Mount