Sponsored by:

Key question

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key question

I have a 90 C2 Cab....The car came to me with 2 non-Porsche keys. Both keys work in the driver and passenger door and ignition. They fit into the glovebox and boot lock but do not operate either of these locks.

I went to the P dealer today and they told me they could order a new key, but not gaurantee that it would operate either of those locks.

Has anyone ever experienced similar issues? I can pull they lock out of the glovebox and give it to a local locksmith to rekey for about $30.

If the ignition lock had to be replaced due to age, would they also have replaced the door locks? Probably not. Maybe the locks are bad in the boot and the glovebox?

Help..............
Old 09-29-2005, 09:29 PM
DustinTarditi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you have the valet key... the cars came with 2 types, to my understanding.
I believe they were red in color, and the standard keys were black (vinyl color on key head) - of course, if you have one that was cut after the fact from a standard blank there's no way to tell the color!

A locksmith can pull the gb and boot locks and change the tumblers (re-key) then to the keys you have now, as you've said, for matched keys. I'm surprised the dealer can't get new standard keys for you though.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup... You have the valet keys... Or copies of them... If you have the manual you may have the key numbers available to have new ones cut. Otherwise you'll probably need to go the locksmith route.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

After doing some more seaching, it appears that the 90 model does NOT have a valet key. Only one key was made to fit all the locks.

Furthermore, the key that I do have turns out does operate the GB and boot, but only if the key is inserted the correct way and I turn it REALLY hard......

I wonder if ordering a brand new key would be the way to go?
Old 10-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Jeremy... Is the Cab different? I have a 1990 C2 and I've got 3 keys... One with a lighted head, another that was a spare but with a generic Porsche plastic head and a small valet key with a tiny black plastic head. The tiny key is my valet key. I think it mentions it in my manual as well.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:26 PM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Rick, I think the plastic key is for your wallet. Please check all 3 keys and let me know what they each operate. I'm curious......
Old 10-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Jeremy... You are correct! I assumed that the tiny one was a valet key... I just checked all keys and they are keyed exactly the same! I thought I checked this when I purchased the car...

All three keys open door locks, lock/unlock the glove box and turn the ignition... I do NOT have a valet key. (But then I never let anyone park my car... Shades of Ferris Bueller's Day Off I suppose.)

Quick Reply: Key question