Sponsored by:

964, hows this one look?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 03:01 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 964, hows this one look?

I saw this one in the RL Classifieds , as well as on Craigslist. It's local, and looks like what I am after. I emailed the seller, and it appears that this one has been cared for pretty well. He mentioned that the car has been rear ended, but no frame damage, just fender and bumper repaint. Makes me a bit nervous. I am off to see it hopefully this weekend. What does everyone think? Hows the price look?
Old 09-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks really nice. Can't go wrong with black either.

As is always beaten into the ground... if you REALLY like it, get a PPI.

BTW, is it missing its "Carrera 2" badge?
Old 09-27-2005, 03:05 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also looking at that car, kinda high miles for the $$. Too far for me to go.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:13 PM
Slappy
Racer

As Euromagination said ... If ya like it ... get a PPI ... If you have one second of hesitation ... walk away ... patience is a virtue when buying one of these cars.

I would have to agree that the high mileage on a '93 and the price don't really match ... ya never know how low he will go until you ask.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:22 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Yeah, the badge is missing it appears. I emailed the seller 'bout that, no response yet. I am concerned with it being rear-ended, might this be an indication of the 'quality of work' the body shop did. I am always very paranoid, perhaps overly so. But hey, it's my $$. Sometimes people just steal them, and it's no big deal.

BTW: I am a member, they just have not associated me with my Payment yet. ;-)
Old 09-27-2005, 03:59 PM
Slappy
Racer

Originally Posted by kgorman
Yeah, the badge is missing it appears. I emailed the seller 'bout that, no response yet. I am concerned with it being rear-ended, might this be an indication of the 'quality of work' the body shop did. I am always very paranoid, perhaps overly so. But hey, it's my $$. Sometimes people just steal them, and it's no big deal.

BTW: I am a member, they just have not associated me with my Payment yet. ;-)
Or maybe the guy prefers the "bald" look ...

You'll know better when you actually see it in person.

Your %100 correct ... your money ... spend it wisely ... not compulsively.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:03 PM
VgP964
Advanced

I called on this one and kept it on the back burner while continuing my search...my hope was to find one in socal. Just like everybody says on this board, if you like it, have a PPI done by someone who knows 964's. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:55 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

If possible, bring it to a high end bodyshop that knows Porsche and have them examine the repair (and the rest of the car) for improperly done work. I would do this on top of a PPI for a car that took a substantial hit. If you can find a shop that can do both at the same time that would be ideal... Good price for a 93, mileage isn't bad if the records are all there and good maintenance intervals have been adhered to. 100K is still only less than 8K per year on a (soon to be) 13 year old car!
Old 09-27-2005, 04:58 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Assuming it's not an indication of something else, a missing badge is a perfect time to delete the silly "2".

c
Old 09-28-2005, 08:44 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

If the guy is admitting to collision history, he is either very honest, or it is bad and he knows you will find it anyway. For sure get a competent 4-wheel alignment shot on any car with collision history.

I am friends with my alignment mechanic, and I hear the heartbreaking stories of people that spent big money for a beautiful car, and only later find the car should have been totaled. In one example, the thrust line was 5 degrees off, and all the front and rear adjustments were at the limit trying to compensate for it. The buyer knew it "drove kinda funny", but assumed an alignment or new tires would fix that.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:20 AM
williamreinecke
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Have an open, unbiased approach. It could have been wrecked, or it could have been ordered from the factory with option 498 - without rear model designation (like mine was).
Old 09-28-2005, 12:17 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Yes, In fact after clarification, it was ordered w/o the badge. Great info guys, thx!
Old 10-02-2005, 01:59 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Just got back from driving the car. It was better looking in person than the pictures eluded to. Took it for a test drive. No problems, alignment good, pulls hard, clutch seems fine to me. What a blast! Love that motor, love the low-down-raw-experience. Interior is really nice, exterior is excellent.

The downside is there are a couple of areas where some work needs to be done. A couple of seals on the hood, some minor rash from parking structs on the front air dam, a broken piece there (one of the horizonal members in the grill). Apparently, there is new sheet metal on the L R quarter panel because of the fender bender. Ugh, sigh. Makes me nervous.

I have to decide if to go to the PPI stage. This is the first one I have driven, so perhaps I just need to hang on a bit longer.

Quick Reply: 964, hows this one look?