Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid Level

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 01:54 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Level

I have the brake fluid reservoir pictured in Streather's Enthusiast Companion on page 540.

Around the cap is a catch basin, of sorts, and I found a puddle of fluid there when I bought the car this past july. I cleaned up the puddle, but failed to note the level in the reservoir.

Recently, I noticed that the puddle was back. This time I checked the level and it appears to be quite high. In fact, the level is well above the Max mark.

I'm going to remove some fluid with a baster (not my wife's), but wanted to check that there wasn't something special about this reservoir like there is for the oil level check. That is, that it should be checked with the car running and hot, or some such.

Is it safe to say that I should remove some fluid?

Is there any damage that I may have been causing with the level so high?

Note that the level isn't so high that there is noroom left in the reservoir to add fluid. That is, it isn't filled to the brim, but it is well above the Max mark.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you do a brake job recently?? Only reason I could think of for the fluid to be high is brake pads replaced and when they pushed the cylinders back in the fluid level went up... that or someone put more brake fluid than required...

There is a overflow hose that will route the overfilled fluid to the side of the car (under the right wheel well...

I suggest you just clean the area and leave the rest alone... don't take any brake fluid out... as you use the brake pads the level will go back down...
Old 09-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If it is leaking around the cap, the cap or its seal may be defective (or the cap is just loose). You might want to check that.

As Jaime said, there is an overflow if it gets too high but there is no "backup" if it too low - you just don't stop so you're probably better not taking fluid out.

Marc
Old 09-26-2005, 02:58 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Interestingly, I have noticed that I have, what I think is, an oil leak.

I'm told the car has always been dry. No leaks what so ever.

A few weeks ago I took the car in for an oil change, overview, and hammer diagnostics. I was unhappy with the service. Too much money; not enough value or info coming out.

At any rate, I had assumed that these guys left me with an oil leak that I've never had before. Perhaps a plug didn't go back correctly or they reused an old seal. I've not yet been under the car to look around as I've only just noticed the leak in the past couple of days.

Perhaps this is actually the brake fluid overflow? Would the overflow only occur during braking? Or, could it overflow and then drip in my driveway when I park?

Thanks for the input.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 09-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hiya dfinnegan
On the C4 , the hydralic pump pulls brake fluid out of the reservoir , if you watch the brake fluid level pre and post switching on the ignition ...
If the p.o. filled the reservoir when the car was " pumped up " , then that could cause the overfill .
Old 09-26-2005, 04:13 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If a C4 is like a C2 there is a small hose that comes off the reservoir. I had that leaking at the hose clamps on mine and it dripped on the ground. If its a redish color on the ground (passenger side) its probably PS fluid not oil.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:26 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

jimq: would that be in the front or rear?

wachuko: I've not had a brake fluid change. Last one appears to have been Jan 04.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:32 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
jimq: would that be in the front or rear?

wachuko: I've not had a brake fluid change. Last one appears to have been Jan 04.
I did not say fluid change, but pad changed. When they change pads they push the cylinders in to make space for the new pads... this pushes the brake fluid back to the canister...

Then I have to go with Marc's comment. Loose cap, bad seal, broken cap... or a leak on the overflow line close to the connection point in the canister...
Old 09-26-2005, 08:22 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
would that be in the front or rear?
Behind the drivers (left) side front wheel, you'll see a little triangle shaped piece of plastic held in place by two philips head screws. The brake fluid reservoir overflow tube is located behind that.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:13 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

I have checked the overflow line and that is not my leak. I expect there is an oil leak somewhere. I'll check around again as I've just had an oil change and the engine was "citrus" cleaned. I should be able to spot any new leaks now.

I also removed a small amount of brake fluid from the reservoir. I believe it was simply too full. I've checked it both cold and warm and with the car running and not. The level is fine and the "puddle" on the cap has not returned.

Thanks everyone!

Cheers,
Dave

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Level