Sponsored by:

Cabrio leaks- ugh

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 07:11 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cabrio leaks- ugh

Well, we had a great ride yesterday. The morning started off cloudy, but no wetness on the roads. We had 21 cars show up, including 2 928s, a 924, and 4 Boxters; the rest were 911s. Lots of SCs, Carreras, and 993 or later; mine was the only 964 in the group.

During lunch, the sky opened, and let go of some excess moisture; and proceeded to get worse. All this moisture helped point out that my top leaks; right above the wing windows- both sides. Anyone ever done anything about these? I don't usually drive the car in the rain, but I don't want to worry about leaks if I get caught in the rain.

I should also replace the seals along the vertical side of the movable windows, as they leak air; no real rain coming in that way, but it's not a tight fit.

Anyone? Thanks in advance. (btw- I did a search without much success.)
Old 09-25-2005, 09:15 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do the seals look? Are they obviously worn or dry rotted?

If not then you could possibly take care of the leaks by adjusting the top.

Duncan
Old 09-25-2005, 11:53 PM
botoo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '90 C2 Cabrio leaks in the same exact spots that yours does. I find nothing wrong with the seals. Everything looks fine.

I am not too concerned about it. It seems to leak mostly when the car isn't moving, a small drip, drip. Maybe the inside of the car is pressurized slightly when moving which may stop the leak.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:46 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I made the mistake of replacing the seal/weatherstrip around the front... made no difference... small drops of water will get in from time to time... The manual even says that it water could get in and that it is normal...

If someone has fixed the leaks please chime in!!
Old 09-26-2005, 01:28 AM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

In response to a tip from another Rennlister, a while back I bought some "Raggtopp" spray and applied it to the top of my '91 C2 cab. It made my top waterproof again (water beads on it), and just about eliminated the instances in which I got the leaks that you described (of course, no convertible is completely waterproof). I bought my Raggtopp from http://www.autogeek.net/rafaca.htmls, but I believe it's available from lots of places. You just wash the car (including the top), spray it on the fabric, rub it in with your hand or a cotton rag, and let it dry. Unlike the Porsche factory convertible top conditioner, Raggtopp won't damage your paint. As an unexpected bonus, it made my somewhat faded top a little darker black. (Of course, no affiliation with Raggtopp or autogeek.net, just a satisfied customer).

Regards,

John
Old 09-26-2005, 01:46 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I had to read it again... so it is leaking through the fabric?? If so, the product mentioned by JJJMCD or the factory stuff should do the trick.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:22 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it's the fabric- more likely the seals on top of the fixed wing windows and slightly from the movable windows. Then again, the conditioner can't hurt....
Old 09-26-2005, 09:43 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Geoff
Your ride sounded like fun! You couldnt get going fast enuf to get a perfect 360
You will be amazed at how good the Ragtop conditioner does! Its like you waxed your fabric! (nope dont work for them or own stock in the company) I have never noticed any drips even in hard rains on mine. I checked under the rear mats this weekend and that area was dry. You may want to check under the mats on yours. Seems to be where the water ends up.

Quick Reply: Cabrio leaks- ugh