Sponsored by:

Power Window: "Click" but no movement

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 06:42 PM
Robert Coats
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Window: "Click" but no movement

'91 C4...passenger side power window won't move.
Fuse is good, driver's side windows works fine.
Both passenger side switches "feel" normal/unbroken.
When I press passenger side switch down, I can hear/feel a click from inside the door, so I assume the motor is getting power?

I think I'll swap the driver's side/passenger side switch just to be sure it's not a switch issue, but what to check next?

If I need to get to the motor, what's the procedure for removing the door panel?

As always, thanks.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:25 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Definitely swap the switches first and see if that fixes it. When you say, "click", is that a sound you're hearing or are you feeling a click in the switch?
Brian
Old 09-24-2005, 08:39 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Door panel removel guide is here.

Before buying a motor (not cheap), make sure motor is getting power by checking with a multi-meter.

Marc
Old 09-24-2005, 11:04 PM
Robert Coats
Racer

Originally Posted by bhensarl
Definitely swap the switches first and see if that fixes it. When you say, "click", is that a sound you're hearing or are you feeling a click in the switch?
Brian
The click is absolutely from inside the door; I put my palm against the middel of the door panel, and could hear and feel the brief vibration of something making a click sound from inside. Sounded like a relay maybe?

Anyway, I'll try swapping the switches around a bit.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Mr.E
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the "same" or should I say similiar problem for months on my driver's side, and I finally fixed it last week. I checked all the usual culprits, including buying a new relay, but they weren't the problem. I didn't have a click, but with the key on, I could see the speedo display dim ever so slightly when I engaged the switch, so I had a good feeling power was getting to the motor. Not knowing any better I decided to dig in and check the motor. I removed the door panel (gets quicker every time <5mins) and used a mirror to look up at the motor. Seeing two torx screws, I figured I could pull the motor pretty easily. Well, it came out, along with the drive mechanism. I not sure that was a good idea, but I checked the motor and it worked.
Scratched my head and put it back in. A little difficult since the motor and drive mechanisms come out together and there's nothing holding the drive pin into the motor. I had to actually engage the motor to screw the drive back in. Once again, not sure about that.
Long story short, my window works now, and I don't know what the problem really was.
I would recommend slightly loosening the motor, try and put the window down, helping the window with a little added pressure.

Good luck, Eric
Old 09-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Robert Coats
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr.E
I would recommend slightly loosening the motor, try and put the window down, helping the window with a little added pressure.
I dove in and thanks to Marc's excellent panel removal guide, was able to get to the window lift bits this morning.

After figuring out the motor had to come off/out before the lifting mechanism could get out, I got both out of the door. Motor bench tested fine, so I lubed up the gears, rollers, and sliding surfaces, including the window channels with various stuff (moly for the gears, silcone for the channel, white lithium for everthing else). Now the motor and lifting parts were working fine. Tool 'em all apart again, and back inside the door....success! Window seems to work much smoother and faster now.

Once again, thanks to all for their help.

Quick Reply: Power Window: "Click" but no movement