Reading the *&%$* dipstick - different levels on different sides

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 07:31 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts
Angry Reading the *&%$* dipstick - different levels on different sides

Time to rekindle an old topic (John FM's doing it, why shouldn't I)

Stuck between the 'rock' of running low and oil, and the 'hard place' of an overfill, I really am not happy with the accuracy of dipstick reading. Admittedly the in-car dial sits at a third, as long as the car is level, idling, warmed up, and the moon is in capricorn etc.,..
but..
Checking the stick, even with the help of Roygarth's trick little wiper, one side is oily almost all the way up to the top notch, the other side is oily only to the bottom notch, apart from the odd smudge. Which side do I believe?
Its only a few months since last OPC service, and the car doesnt smoke or leak...
Old 01-24-2003, 08:16 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Johnny

at least you got one of Roygarth's wipers!! I was 2nd on list & got no wiper!!

However, even with one I can never read the dipstick anyway - the oil is just too clear & hard to see!

I use the in car gauge. To be frank, if when engine hot & idling you get 1/3 to 2/3 on the gauge you have ample oil!!

When the engine gets HOT (like 10 o'clock + on the temp gauge), your oil level will increase alot. Just make sure the gauge lifts out of the red, when idling with temp at the eight o'clock mark, and you have enough oil.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:43 AM
scupper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Of course the simple solution to the problem. Change your oil but once every 30k miles. The dark, dirty oil is very easy to read on the dip stick.

Chuck
93 C2

Quick Reply: Reading the *&%$* dipstick - different levels on different sides