Sponsored by:

Replacing the Distributor belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 09:03 PM
Russ359
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Replacing the Distributor belt

Does anyone know where I can get my distributor belt replaced in the Altanta area? Everyone I call says you must replace the entire dist. at about $850.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:18 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Russ,

Steve Weiner repaired mine for under $200.

Steve Weiner
Rennsport Systems
Portland, Oregon
E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com

For Porsche High-Performance Solutions, Racing Components and
Performance-related Information
Visit Rennsport Systems on the Internet at:
<a href="http://www.rennsportsystems.com/~porsche/" target="_blank">http://www.rennsportsystems.com/~porsche/</a>

----
anthony
Old 04-19-2003, 12:46 AM
Robert Coats
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by axl911:
<strong>
Steve Weiner repaired mine for under $200.
----
anthony</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">He replaced the belt in my distributor too. Nice guy, quick turn-around.

Pulling the distributor out is pretty simple, less than 20 minutes.

If you don't already have it installed, you should put in the vent kit at the same time.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:52 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
Ditto to Anthony.

I had Steve Weiner replace my dist belt when I had my 91. You can't beat his service. When I got my 993 I actually rebuilt my own. Unless you really, really, really ... REALLY enjoy a long weekend in the garage filled with cursing and frustration, I wouldn't recommend it. I wrote up a DIY on <a href="http://www.p-car.com," target="_blank">www.p-car.com,</a> but seriously, it isn't fun. The reward and savings of doing it yourself don't nearly compensate for the pain, aggrevation and risks you take on with this one DIY. The Porsche dealers won't even give you a part number for any specific component of the distributor - they insist on jerking the whole wad out of you for a rebuilt unit. There is nothing wrong with your distributor, just the $12 belt and about a few hours of labor to get to it.

Pull the caps, pop that one nut off the base of the distributor, slide out the distributor, put it in a box, and ship it to Steve. I had some problems pulling the distributor on my 993, but on the 964 it just slid out. If you remove the one nut and it doesn't just come out, try rotating the engine with the fan belt pulley nut while a friend pulls the distributor. It will eventually come free. I had to get more "creative" on removal but you shouldn't have that problem.
Old 04-19-2003, 02:06 AM
ecsjr
Advanced

Same here, Rennsport did mine last year.

I had bought the parts to do the belt and vent kit myself, and started to do it using the DIY intructions above.. but gave up when it started getting complicated. I called them at Rennsport and shipped it off to them. Works great!

Ed
'92 C2 Cab
Old 04-19-2003, 03:41 AM
AndrewM
Pro

Ditto!! Steve Weiner is the man, did my 89 C4, quick turn around and a good price.
Drew
Old 04-19-2003, 09:51 AM
Russ359
Intermediate

Thanks all, I bought the strut brace from steve, nice guy. I'll give him a buzz,

Russ
Old 04-19-2003, 10:51 AM
scupper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Er - is there any trick or issue with putting the distributor back in? Timing? etc.? Or does it just seat back into its original position thus no further adjustments are necessary?

Chuck (learning more and more each day! )
93 C2
Old 04-19-2003, 12:59 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes there is a trick. Put your motor on TDC where the primary rotor is pointing at cylinder #1. Note: secondary won't be at #1 since the belt driving it is broken. Take out the distributor, and send it in for repair. Don't move or touch the car.

Now, when you are ready to put the distributor back in. Line the primary just to the left of cylinder #1, not exactly on #1 like when you pulled it out. Since the gears driving the distributor are slanted, as you push the distributor down, the rotor should now point directly at cylinder #1.

If you had pointed your rotor straight at #1, when you put the dist in, it will be slightly offset and not at #1 anymore.

Once in correctly, turn the crankshaft and verify that the rotor is pointing correctly at each cylinder.

---
anthony

Quick Reply: Replacing the Distributor belt