Sponsored by:

Car Seat

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 06:17 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Car Seat

I'm looking for a pair of car seats for the back of my MY91 C4. I have two kids ages 4 and 2. I've tried our existing seats, but they just don't fit right. I've tried a "travel" seat, which doesn't fit well either.

I understand that there is a Porsche car seat for $4-500. Frankly, that is out of the question.

I've also seen that the Porsche seat is actually a Britax with $200 added for badging. Although, I don't know which model.

Anyone know if the Porsche seat is a Britax?

If so, which model?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-19-2005, 06:20 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Also, does anyone know if I can add a top latch in the back similar to those required in Canada and which appear on most new cars here in the US?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-19-2005, 06:53 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

See this thread.

Marc
Old 09-19-2005, 11:05 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Thanks!

I'll be off to purchase tomorrow.

Marc, could you give me an idea of what your top latch looks like? I have a US version and would like to try and add the top latch mechanism. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:32 PM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave:

I just ordered the Cosco Touriva from Walmart (available online only) for $40 + $10 for freight (no affiliation).

The fit is much better than other seats, but still too loose for comfort. I will check with a dealer tomorrow and post cost to install 3rd anchor.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:52 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Bates,

Thanks!

I am on my way to Walmart tomorrow.

You say the seats are still too loose? Is this because the seat belt latch mechanism stands up too tall? This is my problem with my existing seats. I can remove the base and get the seats to sit down into the back seat of the car, but the latch for the seat belt sits up too high and leaves the child seats way too wobbly.

If I could locate the 3rd anchor parts I'd install those and feel more comfortable with the existing setup.

You're experience with the dealer will prove interesting. I look forward to hearing your results.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 09-20-2005, 01:26 PM
greenjt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave - i assume your 4 year old is in a booster seat by now... if this is the case, you can use one of the backless boosters that go for about $20 if you take a Dremmel or Rotozip to the sides. I custom fit one for my 5 year old daughter. She really digs riding in the Porsche. In fact this morning she told me about a discussion she head yesterday with one of the kids in her kindergrden class - apparently this kid was saying that his dad had a really fast car and she one upped him with her porsche.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:33 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

James,

Actually, my 4 year old is still in a car seat. Next year will be a booster, unless I continue to use the current car seat which works until 80 lbs, if I recall correctly.

But thanks for the input. The real issue seems to be that the 3-point harness has the buckle too high so it doesn't tighten the seat down. The seat remains very wobbly and moves a bit too much fore and aft. Also there is no 3rd anchor to attach the top of the car seat to. This, I'm sure, would take car e of the loseness of the 3-point harness.

I'm looking into locating the 3rd anchor components.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 09-20-2005, 02:40 PM
greenjt
Racer

You are correct about the non-booster not being well secured. I tried a couple different regular seats that fit but could not adequately secure them for a safe ride. For this reason, my 2 year old son has to stick to the other cars. He is none too happy about that either.

My daughter does use a booster with a back in the other cars. It won't fit in the porsche.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
Marc, could you give me an idea of what your top latch looks like? I have a US version and would like to try and add the top latch mechanism. Thanks.
Dave, pictures of my 3rd anchor (top latch) can be seen here.

Marc
Old 09-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My local shop said they could cut the panel & inslation and have the bolts and anchors installed in about 40 minutes! I'll plan on two hours time, so that's about $180 (40 minutes seems a bit ambitious). They said just bring in the parts and they will install them.

I stopped at the local dealer and when I described what I wanted to do, buy the anchor and bolts, they assisted me like I had the plague! Basically the parts guy said he can't even see the anchor pieces on his "US" CD-Rom parts list. Thus, if Candian cars had the parts, he couldn't see them-I basically had to force him to go to the correct parts screen just to see if it showed how many bolts were used, which it didn't. So tomorrow I will call a Candaian dealer and see if they can ship me the parts.

It is unbelievable you are treated the same way at Porsche dealer as you are at a Ford dealer. Thank God I found the shop I go to-they treat you like a person who loves their car.

Will post info on the Canadian adventure tomorrow.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:29 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Bates,

Thanks for the info.

I've been searching all over for the anchor parts and can't seem to find them anywhere. I haven't yet tried canadian dealers. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

I did find the covers for the holes for $1.43 from Sunset Imports. They were very pleasant, but just couldn't seem to locate the anchor and bolts.

$ 1.43 911.555.627.00.01c anchor covers

Cheers,
Dave
Old 09-21-2005, 01:32 PM
MSchett2
Instructor

The Porsche seat is a Britax. I use the Britax model booster, with the back, and it fits well in my coupe. The only difference with the Porsche seat I can see is with the fabric.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:25 PM
williamreinecke
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you measure from the apex of the rear window gasket over exactly 12" (30 cm) you will find the bolt that is welded into the rear of the car.
Attached Images   
Old 09-21-2005, 03:42 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

williamreinecke,

Are you saying that the child seat 3rd anchor is already in the car?

That would be nice!

Cheers,
Dave

Quick Reply: Car Seat