Sponsored by:

a/c compressor ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 02:30 PM
ga2ryc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c compressor ?

93 c2, r134. after spending mucho dinero to try to fix my a/c, still experiencing cooling loss.
originally replaced a line, drier, had the condensor cleaned. worked good for a couple of weeks. lost cooling, took it back, they tested it , found a loss of freon, kept it, pressure tested and dye leak check, all the previous work was ok, replaced a schraeder valve and worked well for about a month and a half. i've searched the archives and found one possible answer and wonder if anyone else has run across this. they put a load on the system overnight and did not experience any loss of pressure, is it possible that the compressor is leaking when operating? they say the next step would be to replace the evaporator and after seeing wachukos thread looks a little beyond me, would replacing the compressor first be a better way to troubleshoot this ? i know it would be alot cheaper thanks for any input.
garry
Old 09-18-2005, 03:18 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hiya ga2ryc
Many many parts make up the ac system , allmost all of them can leak , if you start replacing them
before finding the leaker , you will spend good money replacing good parts . The dye leak check
should be able to find the bad part or parts . I don't know anything about the laws in Texas , can you get your money back after three failures to find and fix the problem ?

"would replacing the compressor first be a better way to troubleshoot this ? "
Replacing a part before you know it to be bad is not called troubleshooting , its called shotgunning.
If the compressor was leaking the dye test should show it to be bad , the compressor is easy to see and any leak should show dye leaking .

"replaced a line"
They only replaced one line ?
AC lines get old and leak , If I were forced to bet , I'd put 10 cents on a line .
Old 09-19-2005, 08:57 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I finally found a persistent freon leak at the compressor shaft mechanical seal. It is difficult to find because the clutch and pulley assembly cover it. I used a "sniffer" several times, and could not find a leak. I finally removed the clutch assembly, and sure enough, the sniffer started screaming as soon as the probe got near the shaft seal.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it is when you can't stop a leak.

Quick Reply: a/c compressor ?