Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended shops in Houston area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 11:22 PM
Bob Krantz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recommended shops in Houston area?

Now that we have left the Alaska climate (and my Porsche network) behind, I would like to hear from people satisfied (or not) with shops in or near Houston experienced and equipped for the 964 series. By the way, at least one dealer (Advantage Porsche) refused to work on my car because it is "too old".
Bob K
Old 04-16-2003, 01:20 PM
A red blur..
Track Day

bob,

I'm going through the same thing right now. My car came from Mcgills (now Advantage Porsche) new and has only been to that shop for the maintenance. Since Advantage took over about a year ago there's been a lot of staff changes and I just have a funny gut feel. I was in there yesterday and labor cost has just been bumped from $89 to $99/hr. Maybe you should be glad they don't want your business!!

Two shops I'm looking at are Mike Callas - Rennsport in Sealy. He's a registered IATN member and recommended by a number of folks. And Cliff at Sports Car Repair, Star Lane in Houston - 2 recommendations from the trade. Eric at EuroCarWerk on Gulfton seems decent too.

The work I need doing is air conditioning and 60K service.

Let me know what you find and where you go.

M
Old 04-16-2003, 10:22 PM
Bob Krantz
Advanced

M:
Of the 3 places you mention, I have only tried Eurocarwerk. I went there (also for AC work) because (1) a good friend recommended them for normal service and (2) when I talked with Eric he spoke 964. The work they did (replacing the condensor and some metal lines and seals) was well done but pricey (but probably not unreasonable). What bummed me a bit was that after the AC work one of the ducts was dumping hot air on the driver's feet. Turned out it was just a loose duct, that I assumed got knocked loose during the AC work (it never blew hot before). Eric insisted that it was not their fault and charged me for an hour of labor to repair it. I would have expected after the first bill I payed that they could either accept the blame or eat the extra hour. Not a big deal, but...
Bob
Old 04-16-2003, 11:37 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been using Koby Motors and have been pretty happy them. My car is at Viking Motorsports right now for suspension work, and the guys there seem to know the 964's pretty well. I think they're also less expensive than the other shops in town.

Protechnik is great for high end suspension work or highly modified cars. I don't know too many people who take their cars there for routine maintenance.

I know one guy that uses Eurocarwerk for his 965 and has been very happy with them. I'm just hesitant to use a shop that isn't almost entirely Porsche.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:44 AM
A red blur..
Track Day

Bob,

I spoke with Mike Callas at Rennsport Sealy last week. I'm going to go there for the 60K service and a/c work.

Let me know who you go with.

Regards.....

Mike
93 RSA - 58k
Old 04-21-2003, 12:28 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Mike Callas ALL THE WAY! My 2 993's ( race car and road car) Only Mike touches them...
He is an incredible mechanic. His honesty and business ethic is incredible...
Old 04-22-2003, 11:04 PM
Bob Krantz
Advanced

Glad to get such positive recommendations for Mike Callas. Sealy is even on my side of town (Cypress). Anyone have contact info for Rennsport?
Bob
Old 04-23-2003, 02:04 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Bob here is his number:

979-885-7304

He is on HWY 36, take I-10 west to HWY 36 exit, take a left at the light onto HWY 36, when you clear the town of Sealy about 4 miles down on your left you will see a small sign "Rennsport". Pull in the driveway next to the house and you will see the shop.
Send him please my regards when you see him! Tell him Danny sends his best! I'm away on business and will not be back till July...
One word of advise. Mike has a ton of work, you will see the amount of 911's there (one of them is mine ) and he does all the work by himself... So be prepared to book an appointment and do not expect to collect your car quickly like on a dealer. The upside of this will be very reasonable pricing and incredibly detailed work. Let's put it this way Mike will never have you change anything unless you really have too...and his work is exceptional.
Welcome to Houston!
Old 04-23-2003, 09:11 PM
BlueMax
Intermediate

Rennsport in Sealy! Mike is one of the few people I will trust with my car (for those things that cannot be done easily in my home garage). Everything mentioned previous posts is true - flawless work and sound ethics. Mike is also involved in racing. Word of warning, his sign is blue background and small and therefore easily missed. If you do, do not just stop since Hwy 36 is a fast state highway and suddenly slamming on the brakes is not advised.

Paul
Old 04-23-2003, 09:24 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 160 Posts
Danny's right, Mike Callas is the best guy in town....& I've tried most of 'em.

pm me if you want details.

cheers,

sean
Old 05-28-2003, 07:48 PM
A red blur..
Track Day

Bob,

Just got my car back from Rennsport in Sealy.

Funonomel? Phunominel? I think you know what I'm saying but can't spell it.

I've only ever been to McGills but Mike is 3x better. Make the 4x.

Definately worth the drive.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:10 PM
Bob Krantz
Advanced

Thanks--next time I am in need, I will give Mike a call. I did notice he advertises (i.e. supports) our local PCA newsletter.
Bob K
1989 C4

Quick Reply: Recommended shops in Houston area?