Sponsored by:

water in my oil? But it's a 911...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 11:25 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts
Post water in my oil? But it's a 911...

So I was changing the oil in preparation for a valve adjustment in my C2. I first drained the oil from the crankcase, no problems, and only a lttle bit of "hair' on the magnet. When I began to drain at the thermostat, just in front of the right rear wheel, the first thing that came out was an ounce or two of water!!!??? then a little pale frothy mustardy looking stuff came out. Any idea what gives...I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic 15w/50 and this oil only has about about 4000 miles on it...

-CKKrause
Old 07-07-2003, 11:44 PM
Sailswish
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Condensation in the tank and lines. My oil change, maybe 3-4 ounces came out. Nobody seems to mind judging from other threads.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:19 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Blown head gasket ....
Old 07-08-2003, 04:06 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Lack of mileage, do some more miles to get it warm properly. Condensation is a product of cool air condensing on the engine surfaces, get it hot enough and it evaporates. you usually find it in the colder of the oil pipes as well.
Typical signs in Normal 4 pots are shown on the oil filler cap.
Change oil, and use it more often/longer periods.

Kevin.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:47 AM
Don.
Advanced

I've always heard that its good to run the oil temperature up to at least 220 degrees F once in a while to boil off all the water in the oil. If you're one of those guys that tends to keep things under 210 all the time, that could be what's causing all that condensation.

Don
Old 07-08-2003, 05:38 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Don Ahn:
<strong>If you're one of those guys that tends to keep things under 210 all the time, that could be what's causing all that condensation.

Don</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">My car keeps itself cool, I don't have anything to do with it. Well, short of driving around with the front boarded up so no air flows to the oilcooler. But that would be silly. Wouldn't it?
Old 07-08-2003, 03:45 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts
Thanks for your comments... By the way, the car is my daily driver and often gets hot enough to get the oil cooler fan going...The bottom line is that this doesn't seem to be a big deal and the best advice is to drive it more...not bad!

-CKKrause

Quick Reply: water in my oil? But it's a 911...