Sponsored by:

High Milaege 964s???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 01:13 PM
Eric-17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question High Milaege 964s???

HI:

Looking to purchase a 911 this winter/next spring to finally fullfill that life-long dream... I've heard all the stories about very high milaege SCs and Carreras... What about 964s?

For my toy money, it just seems that I can get much more of what I'm looking for in a 964. I read in the currnet Excellence mag that Bruce A. hasn't seen any high milaege examples with no further comment (read: reliability). Any thoughts???

Thanks in advace for any insight as I continue to learn and make plans (new stall added to garage, sealing floor, etc.).
Old 07-02-2003, 01:29 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts
Eric,

964's are great cars. You should drive all three model cars. They represent different generations of Porsche design. Each has their own feel and quirks. Then go with what feels right to you. Then find the best condition car of that model. All Porsche's can be expensive to repair. Its usually cheaper in the long run to buy a perfect car for a higher price than to buy a fixer-upper with a lot of repair bills.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:34 PM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 339 Posts
Eric, its hard to equate the mechanical condition of a car based on mileage alone. I'd much rather have a pampered, well maintained high mileage 964 than a low mileage one that has been neglected. There are plenty of examples in both categories. As restoration of a poorly maintained 964 can quickly turn a bargain into a nightmare, it's a risk that you should minimize by haviing any potential car checked out in detail. What do you consider high mileage and what is your price range?
Old 07-02-2003, 01:55 PM
Eric-17

Thanks for the replies... I tried different search terms and found some older threads addressing this subject...

Rob:

PPI is a must, I have paid for them in the past...

I agree, condition is much more important than just about anything else (except heritage, got to be German!).

Syd:

Price range will now be around the mid to upper twenties with money left for needed repairs after purchase (if needed).

I have driven and owned older autos. After driving a few SCs and a '74, I'm just not sure I want to go down that road again. Maybe I'm getting old, but I really value AC, a relatively quiet ride and at least a moderate amount of power to go along with my fun. My wife also spends quite a bit of time in my cars on the weekend... I know, I know.

I usually drive my cars for many miles. My round trip to work is 65 miles daily, mostly rural highway. I usually begin to think about selling or rebuild at the 225,000 mark or so. Example: Sold my previous Bimmer with 230,000 and wife's Landcruiser with 235,000. So I would venture to say that 200,000 plus some is "high milage" to me. When my car's motor lasts that long, I have been thrilled!

Thanks for the input!
Old 07-02-2003, 03:39 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post
What do you consider high mileage?

Personally, I only fear high mileage when they haven't been taken care of. Otherwise, it's a great way to get more car for your money. In many cases you get a BETTER car with high mileage because many of the eventually maintenance items have already been taken care of. Get the PPI and go for it.

Good luck.
Erick
Old 07-02-2003, 06:43 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts
Eric,

One other thought, my engine still running strong at 170+K miles with no major work except the flywheel. I had one of the early dual-mass flywheel's that fail. I do have a 1-2 minor oil drips but am living with them until a full rebuild is needed.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:14 AM
Fred, Long Island
Racer

Looking at 130,000 mi. coming up on mine. The previous advice of looking for a high mileage that has been properly cared for is right on the mark. If the miles are up there and the care isn't, it will be readily evident where the problems may be. These are wonderful cars. You'll find one.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:39 AM
Tony Davis
Intermediate

Use is more important than miles. Get copies of receipts and check out the addresses of previous owners and frequency that brakes and tyres have been replaced. A low mileage car with inner city owners (lots of gear changes and dawdling in traffic) or that has been tracked will not be in as good a condition as one used to cruising long distances up and down motorways/freeways/autobahns etc.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:31 AM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 339 Posts
Eric, check your private messages.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:06 AM
eddychan
Racer

Eric,

It's so easy to change a new speedo or a speedo with only 50K on it!

Watch out!

Eddie

Quick Reply: High Milaege 964s???