Sponsored by:

3.6 Turbo Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 10:12 PM
gmonsen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 3.6 Turbo Won't Start

I know this isn't the "Turbo" section, but there's more activity here. I finally had some time to drive my "new" 1994 3.6 turbo today. It had trouble holding the idle. After driving it mildly for about 30 minutes. I brought it back to the garage and left it for the day. When I got back home and tried to start it, it wouldn;t start. All the hoses are tight and there's gas. Plus, there's oil and oil pressure is right. Does anyone have any ideas? When I bought it, I had a PPI done and it had good compression and leak down was fine. Any thoughts? Thanks, Gordon
Old 06-30-2003, 10:19 PM
Rich W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gordon,

Let's try the basics first: is it getting fuel? is it getting a spark?

When you say "it wouldn't start", does that mean it turns over, but doesn't catch?
Old 06-30-2003, 10:23 PM
gmonsen
Instructor

(Sorry. And here I thought I was describing it well... oh, well) The car turns over and on the first try it starts to catch. On each subsequent try it doesn;t catch, though it turns over very strongly. I even tried giving it a bit of gas and nothing. It has half a tank of fuel and the oil level gauge starts at the top and then drops a wee bit when rpm increases. That's all I remember, since I only drove it about 20 minutes and was familiarizing myself with it. (Is that any better?) Thanks, Gordon
Old 07-01-2003, 05:41 AM
Ade - C4 91
Racer

DME relay? - it controls the fuel pump. Worth swapping out to see if that's the problem.

Ade.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:25 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dear Gordon,
I answered this when you emailed me privately. May I point out that this is not the Turbo forum and you are likely to get answers like the one from Ade due to lack of knowledge of the Turbo. The Turbo does not have a DME. The fuel pumps relay is R61 and might be worth looking at but these are quite reliable.
As I said to you apart from the basics a common Turbo problem is the gasket/seal between the intercooler and the throttle body. If this is blown you will not start.
The Bar reading on the OBC is very important when you were driving. Please remember that the Turbo 3.6 is a CIS fuel injection system with three supporting control units. The turbo engine has a number of temp sensors and other inputs.
We need to do this step by step.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 07-01-2003, 10:14 AM
gmonsen
Instructor

Adrian,

I tried swapping out the R61 relay and nothing changed. I didn't get a good read on the boost pressure, but did see it during the drive. Boost came up to about 10-12 psi on boost. -Gordon

Quick Reply: 3.6 Turbo Won't Start