Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cab top with engine running.- Is there a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 04:00 AM
MA7008O
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cab top with engine running.- Is there a problem?

Followed the above instructions to be able to use my top with the engine on, but the red light that warns about the top not being in place is on every time the ignition is turned on. I always have to push a bit the top switch for the red light to turn off.

The mod is just fantastic, but:

Is there a problem with pushing the switch? I suppose that the micros switches that indicate that the top is at any of the final position are pulsed but the system has no notice it yet, but since the micro switches are pulsed, no current should go into the system, there for not stressing the motors, gears, cables, ….

What do you think?

Instructions:
964 - Convertible Top Control With The Engine Running

This modification allows the convertible top to be operated with the engine running while the car is at a complete stop. It applies to electric latching tops with control module # 911-618-313-01

Refer to images at the end of this bulletin for additional help. The arrow at the top left of the pictures point towards the changes.

Find the top control module. On my 90 - 964 it was located under the driver side dash. Hidden behind another module. It is a black plastic box with 4 big connectors and about 5 wires per connector.

Locate two thin green with white stripe wires in one of the plugs located at one of the ends.

Leaving enough slack at both ends, cut these two wires (green with white stripe) and connect the two car ends together so that the loop continues (this two wires are connected to the same terminal inside the plug creating a loop)

Connect one or both module ends (the ends attached to the control module) of the green with white wires to ground.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:34 AM
mark964
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no problem. This is the minor downside to this nifty little mod. Just make sure you push the switch in the right direction to clear the indicator light each time you start your car. As in when the top is down and covered !!
Old 09-07-2005, 04:12 AM
MA7008O
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ON the instructions that I followed there was a reference to a 3 relay diagram to operate the top via an aftermarket alarm, but do not have it. Do you know anything about it?
Old 09-07-2005, 08:03 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Something isnt right with yours. My light goes on and off exactly like it should. Cant help you tho as mine was wired before I bought it. I can raise and lower mine also while moving.

Quick Reply: Cab top with engine running.- Is there a problem?