Sponsored by:

Rust !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 05:45 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Rust !!!

I have to get the front wing repainted as a dopey Peugeot 306 Diesel driver changed lane without looking. OK - good time to get the stone chips off the Bonnet, Bumper and the other wing at the same time. (hood,fenders, whatever in Bushland)

However, things are never that simple... the windscreen frame is looking a little tired and now it seems I must take the windscreen out - repair the frame and paint the lot.

So, comfort me guys, How many of you have found rust in the windscreen frame?
Old 06-30-2003, 05:52 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Irish,

Don't have an answer to your question, but, I think it is more likely that you'll find rust if you have a Sunroof as the drain channels can get blocked which can cause the dreaded rot!

Andy
Old 07-01-2003, 06:30 AM
69COU
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do yo mean at the bottom corner of windscreen pilar.

Mine had some rust appering under paint on one side and i had the screen removed and had that side repaired about a year ago. (New windscreen as old one cracked when removing)

Shame is i am getting early signs of the same on other side now!!!

So if you remove screen get both sides carefully checked sand repaired.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:32 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dear Irishdriver,
I hate to say this but I did and so have a few other people. A lot depends upon previous windshield replacements. If they are not glued/bonded into place as per the factory instructions as well as using the correct seals you will get rust. The reason for the rust is that the old seal is scrapped off and the exposed and damaged galvanised area is not repaired.
A lot of rust issues with the 964 is directly related to the quality of previous work carried out. Short cuts = rust.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: The windshield has to be smashed to be removed if correctly installed.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:22 PM
Bob Krantz
Advanced

Count me in for rust:
Left side windshield pilar, about 4 inches up.
Left base of windshield frame, just inside corner.
Right rear fender, actually rusted through in a series of small holes (see my description in 911& Porsche World Running Reports or on John's 964 web site).
All of these have temporary fixes 'til I can organize a full repaint.
Bob K
1989 C4
Old 07-01-2003, 10:51 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had a left-side, base-of-the-windshield rust bubble repaired by Porsche under the 10-year warranty. That was back in '98. I now have another small bubble starting in close to the same location, peeping out from underneath the windshield seal. Asked about having it repaired (correctly), and was given a quote of ~$800--if the windshield isn't broken in the process.

The windshield was replaced in '97, which may be the root cause. If/when the windshield is replaced next, I'll have the rust addressed--if it doesn't become too gross before then.

My '66 911 had 2 rust bubbles at the base of the rear window when I bought it in 1988. They were still there--maybe a little larger--when I sold the car in '98. Surprised I could tolerate looking at 'em for 10 years, but the paint was in good condition, otherwise.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:42 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts
Another area of rust that i found on the 964 was under the kick panels where there is a join from the "side skirt" to the rear quarter panel.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:45 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
I guess by now most of you are sick of my story, However Irishdriver asked, so, I had mine repaired too. Story on the website link below, also featured in PP and on Johns site........

Kevin
Old 07-02-2003, 04:07 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK - So I'm not alone in this - It doesn't make it any cheaper but at least I feel better that I I don't have a personal problem !!

Now...how do I get my insurance to pay for a new windscreen...?
Old 07-02-2003, 06:17 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Irishdriver,
You make a claim that it was hit by a stone and damaged. My repair man does it for me actually. Mine was damaged anyway before it copped the hammer. This should not be a problem.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 07-02-2003, 06:47 AM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Dear all,

I got my first bubble in the lower right corner on the backwindow this winter during its stay in the garage....Any of You have a tip on how to preceed with deeling with it..
Old 07-02-2003, 06:52 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Felix,
There is only one way to deal with it. Properly. This might sound obvious but temporary repairs of such things are just that, temporary. The rust comes back bigger and nastier. You have to take the 964 to a reputable body and paint shop and have them repair it. They need to trace the source of the rust and repair the whole thing. I recently had the battle damage to my C4 repaired properly. The job was quite expensive but it is worth the investment. There is no cheap way out I am afraid. Here in Switzerland you can elect 2 types of repair.
a). I am going to sell the car repair or
b). I am going to keep the car repair. This is the expensive and permanent repair scheme and the one I chose.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: Rust !!!