Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by burgass
I was with the impression that it will not fit on a C4!! Does it?!?
If it does I will certanly do that
Wonder if somebody has done that...
The 5-point adjustable RS front sway bar is not designed for the Carrera 2 or 4. They are an extremely tight fit and are known to cause problems when seriously stressed. If you want a demonstration, the chief engineer at RUF is the man to speak to.
The C4 gains no benefit anyway from an adjustable front sway bar. If you wish to introduce serious handling problems, mess with the front of a C4.
A strut brace between the towers is more than sufficient for a C4.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by burgass
Adrian
Is the front RS America sway bar adjustable and will it fit on a C4? If yes I am interested!!

Pesty I have a 21 mm also in case the shipping costs from Erick are too high. By the way IMHO this is the first thing you have to change on a C4

Cheers
No it is not adjustable.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:31 PM
burgass
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adrian, first thing I fitted on my car was a strut brace, second was the 21 mm sway. Now I have changed that sway to a 3 way adj 21 mm. If I can find an adj front sway bar that at some setting is as stiff as the original then I can at least experiment and see what happens I must say that I am very happy with the rear adj sway The car feels neutral in fast corners. Still have some understeer in slow corners but on the other side maybe I should look closer at the shocks and springs Using the PSS-9 kit but IMHO it is mediocre for track use
Old 09-06-2005, 05:20 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Adrian

Which size front sway bar do RUF use then? From memory it was 24mm as well....? (I can't find any details on the RUF website). Naturally as I have RS sways, your comment gives me cause to consider other options.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:50 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Christer,
RUF will fit whatever size you want depending upon your handling needs. I like neutral with a tad of understeer. Some people like neutral with a tad of oversteer. Others prefer over and others under. As I have said forever, handling is very personal.
RUF explained to me that the 964 RS front adjustable even on its softest setting is TOO stiff for both the C2 and C4 for the road and not recommended because of the fitment issues. It has nowhere to go when it flexes under load and believe me they do flex.
You have a C2 which is a very different beastie to a C4, so what suits a C4 is NOT going to suit a C2.
Basically my experiments and playing around with both C2s and C4s over years showed me one simple rule. LEAVE the front sway bar alone. Play with the back end only, unless going racing and even then, purchase aftermarket bars which have been correctly designed to suit the C2 and C4 mounting and suspension points.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:54 AM
Christer
Race Car

I quite like the RS bars, they do tighten up the car very nicely(they are set middle front and rear) ...but I will see what I am going to do in time...thanks for the heads-up!
Old 09-06-2005, 09:24 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Christer,
The cd arrived today. Thank you very much. The 996 picture library grows.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Jamie Summers
Racer

Pesty,
I'm in the process of installing RS anti roll bars front and rear, sourced from Carnewal in Belgium. I did a lot of research into sourcing alternative parts in the US and UK and Carnewal came out just about cheapest and least hassle.

This means that I will have a spare 21mm rear bar from my '90 C2 going begging. Let me know if you want it - probably less hassle than shipping from US or Europe !

Jamie
Old 09-06-2005, 11:05 AM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

I've been driving my C4 installed with factory RS rear swaybar set at the mid-point for over 2 years and it has drastically diminished the car's inherent understeer. The car has become more alive and responsive when taking fast corners. A factory front RS swaybar can not be installed in a C4 due to the location of the 4WD differential.

Last edited by GT9111; 09-06-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:19 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Factory RS rear swaybar; installed or not installed in C4?

Originally Posted by GT9111
I've been driving my C4 installed with factory RS rear swaybar . . . A factory RS swaybar can not be installed in a C4 due to the location of the 4WD differential.
Huh?

You have it installed, yet it can't be installed?

I'm confused.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 09-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Christer
Race Car

I think thats front sway bar....
Old 09-06-2005, 11:55 AM
burgass
Addict
Rennlist Member

Adrian do you have any suggestion about after market front adj sway bar? With your experience it would be nice to hear your opinion. My car is mostly serving track time so I would be thankful if you can at least point in some direction.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

The only company in September 2005 that I will advise you about is RUF. Their products work and they fit properly. Other suppliers I know of, have some fitment problems, especially with the C4.
You need to contact them direct and ask them for their advice for what is best for your C4.
It will vary dramatically depending upon the status of the rest of the car.
I do believe however you are not going about this the right way. I would deal with your major suspension components like springs and shock absorbers first.
Messing with the front sway bar before stiffening up the suspension and then seeing if you need to play around with it, may see you wasting time and money.
Ciao,
Adrian.

PS: Your choices for the 964 are limited anyway. We have not been a huge market for many companies and they have sort of given up on us. So has Porsche but that is another story.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:17 PM
burgass
Addict
Rennlist Member

You have a point about the springs and shocks. At the present moment I am just starting to look into the whole picture, gather info, check available products and I will make a decision and act during the winter.
I still have the adj Konis which can be revalved for springs with higher rates
Thanks for the advise
Old 09-06-2005, 12:45 PM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

I meant to say the front RS swaybar can not be installed in a C4.

Quick Reply: Sway bar- advice please