My First Valve Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 03:27 PM
john thompson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post My First Valve Adjustment

Hello all,

I just finished doing the valve adjustment procedure over the weekend. I started Fri, evening and finished up Sun. about 5pm. Wow, what a lot of work! My knuckles are busted up and I hurt every where.
I just want to encourge everyone to do this job themselves. If you take your time and read all the good instructions available thru links at Reenlist, it is really quite easy....but lengthy. Just doing the valves was probably about a 6 hour job. It is taking every thing off and putting it back that is a chunk of time. I spent and HOUR just reinstalling the heater crossover and muffler. (tried to fit the bolts into too small a hole....then got it together upside down !) I learned a lot. I also changed the oil and filter, took some parts down to the car wash and really cleaned them up...cut holes in the air cleaner housing...put a new rear heater blower in.

Car started right up....took it out and really felt great, seemed quicker and more responsive.. I Love It! What fun.

QUESTIONS:
1. Are my valve covers plastic or Magnesium?
2. Where can I get new ones...mine are pitted and worn.
3. What is the best spark plug for us to use?

Well, this is too long but I want you to know, ANYONE and adjust their valves if you take your time and are willing to bleed a little.

John Thompson
HOT HOT TEXAS!
Old 06-30-2003, 05:21 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The second time will be much faster than the first.

There will be a second time since you are most likely to adjust them too loose as a rookie mistake.

---
anthony
Old 06-30-2003, 05:38 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by axl911:
<strong>The second time will be much faster than the first.

There will be a second time since you are most likely to adjust them too loose as a rookie mistake.

---
anthony</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">That'll take the wind out of John's sails! Anthony - what does the 2nd-timer do that the rookie doesn't?

John - well done, "respect"
Old 06-30-2003, 06:04 PM
john thompson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACTUALLY,
I have adjusted my volkswagen valves many times. This was the same but with much less room. Also, the parts I was removing were not that familiar. Sure did have a good time, inspite of the 95 deg. weather and 95% humidity!

John

Quick Reply: My First Valve Adjustment