Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel tank level sending unit disassembly - all for not!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 11:00 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 471 Posts
Red face fuel tank level sending unit disassembly - all for not!

I read a post a while back from mike99 about disassembling the fuel tank sending unit to rehabilitate it somehow... well, this is one part that doesn't appear to have any hope of rehab! But, I thought I'd share some pictures that I took anyways, for those interested. I did this because my friend's 964 has an intermittent gauge - it works sometimes, and other times it's dead and the low fuel light goes on.

It appears to work via a variable resistance along this strip of wires that occurs when it is soaked in a particular level of fuel, not via any moving parts, or floats. The fuel fills up the long skinny part - you can see it draining in one of the pics below. It's pretty cool, too bad there's nothing in there I can fix. Any ideas... hurry before I order a new one at $130 a pop!

One helpful note - don't attempt to remove the sending unit with the fuel tank filled to max - you'll make a mess! I had a little more than 3/4 tank and had to jack up the car on the right side to tilt it enough so it would not leak when I removed it...

Enjoy the pics!

Here's the sender on the gas tank for those curious... it unscrews and pulls out - it's pretty long!
Attached Images    
Old 09-02-2005, 11:03 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here it is draining... then to disassemble it, I pulled down on the long tube and it slid off; then I undid the two pins that attach the wire cable inside of the "tunnel"...
Attached Images     

Last edited by garrett376; 09-03-2005 at 01:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NineSixForBliss (08-03-2019)
Old 09-02-2005, 11:04 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I was hoping to find something I could clean, or unplug... something! But there was nothing that I saw was wrong. I cleaned the wire ribbon, reinstalled everything, but the problem still persists...
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
NineSixForBliss (08-03-2019)

Quick Reply: fuel tank level sending unit disassembly - all for not!