Sponsored by:

Speed Bleeders - any experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 08:32 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Speed Bleeders - any experience?

Anyone have any experience with the Speed Bleeder valves?

Brake fluid changes and bleeding is easy with the Motiv but anything that helps seems good to me.

Link at: http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Marc
No affiliation to company, etc. Image from their website.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 08-30-2005 at 09:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-30-2005, 11:15 AM
nekbet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roomate in college had them on his RX-7, as did a few other 944 guys at the time.. Never heard of a problem and only heard of good things said about them.

I prefer pressure bleeding as I once bottomed out a master cly and it screwed things up :-(

-Mike
90 C4 Targa
Old 08-30-2005, 11:38 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

I was thinking of using them with the pressure bleeder - not pumping the pedal like they suggest.

ie. clamp overflow line, pressurize, then wander around and bleed valves - might be overkill but no risk of air getting in if you lose pressure for any reason.

Marc
Old 08-30-2005, 12:26 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Motiv is fine. You don't need to pump the pedal... only turn on your ignition key to fire the electric ABS pump. Flushes out the fluid from it.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:53 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put a set in when I did the brakes on my C2. In a nut shell they are great. I was able to bleed my brakes really quickly by my self. Wife got to stay in the house. I ordered too many and have a full extra set. I picked them up from Pelican Parts. I recomend them. Let me know if you want the extra set.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:21 PM
puma1824
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pete000
I just put a set in when I did the brakes on my C2. In a nut shell they are great. I was able to bleed my brakes really quickly by my self. Wife got to stay in the house. I ordered too many and have a full extra set. I picked them up from Pelican Parts. I recomend them. Let me know if you want the extra set.
How much shipped to 21045?

LMK,
Puma
Old 08-30-2005, 11:17 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 600 Likes on 462 Posts

Not to be a stick in the mud, but how are those any different than regular bleeder screws when you're using a pressure bleeder like a Motiv bleeder? With pressure bleeders and these "special" bleeders, you still need to unscrew the bleeder screw like a regular bleeder, right? So what's gained by these things?

I can understand they would be nice with no pressure bleeder on hand, using the pedal instead... but by the time you buy all 8 screws, you are part-way to buying a pressure bleeder!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:27 PM
williamreinecke
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I am with the pressure bleeder group. Just buy a pressure bleeder. You will need it to bleed the slave cylinder anyway.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:52 PM
C4porsche964
Intermediate

Originally Posted by garrett376
Not to be a stick in the mud, but how are those any different than regular bleeder screws when you're using a pressure bleeder like a Motiv bleeder? With pressure bleeders and these "special" bleeders, you still need to unscrew the bleeder screw like a regular bleeder, right? So what's gained by these things?

I can understand they would be nice with no pressure bleeder on hand, using the pedal instead... but by the time you buy all 8 screws, you are part-way to buying a pressure bleeder!

I agree with Garrett. I don't see how speed bleeders add anything if you are using a pressure bleeder. Also, on a C4 you can't bleed the brakes by pumping the pedal anyway.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:47 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

I guess I was not clear as to my intentions.

While I do have and plan to continue to use the Motiv power bleeder, I just thought that these might add a measure of security to prevent air getting into the system if the Motiv loses pressure for any reason. I do not plan to pump the pedal given all the problems that can cause despite the fact that it is the method they recommend.

I have read a few threads where people had an air leak, had to refill the pressure bleeder, or what ever so that air gets in the system and you have to start over. I was just thinking that, by using these in combination with the pressure bleeder, that risk would be negated.

I guess I'll stick to just the power bleeder I already have.

Marc
ps. 8 bleeders x $7 each = $56 (more than a power bleeder!).
Old 07-04-2007, 07:43 PM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has been a few years since this thread was touched. Just wondering if there are any new experiences out there?
Old 07-04-2007, 08:25 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

I just bleed all 4 brakes and my clutch using pressure and it was a snap. It seems these valves only are of value if you want to use the peddle pump method. Since you have to use pressure to bleed the clutch anyhow, these seem of low value. By the time you buy 6 (2 on each side up front and one on each side in the back) you have spent at least $42 ($90 if you go SS). I think my Motive was $50. *shrug*

Just my $0.02.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree.

I never tried the SpeedBleeders - there does not seem to be any need with a Motiv Pressure Bleeder.

Marc
Old 07-05-2007, 02:12 PM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Monique
Motiv is fine. You don't need to pump the pedal... only turn on your ignition key to fire the electric ABS pump. Flushes out the fluid from it.
Would someone please explain this in further detail?
Old 07-05-2007, 02:47 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Monique, is that a C4 thing? On my C2, no need to turn on the key. But I recall the the C2 brake system is pretty different from the C4.

Quick Reply: Speed Bleeders - any experience?