Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you did your Flywheel & Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 10:29 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris, momentum doesn't work that way. Think of a drag brake on a fishing reel.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:23 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Jason,
That is the correct flywheel. 0R is the casting number actually. I have pictures of an original and it is basically the same.
Weight of a flywheel assembly includes the starter ring because it is attached to the flywheel and is part of the rotating mass. They weigh quite a few pounds.
I am interested in your comments about the starter ring fitment. Did you try and fit this flywheel to your 964?
I cannot see the starter ring being an issue because regardless of which flywheel it is attached to, its position or distance from the crankshaft face is basically the same.
If you are saying the DMF starter ring does not fit the SMF flywheel then I believe that is correct.
I would appreciate to hear your findings because your statement is a little vague. If there is a problem found by your personal experience it should be detailed and if there is a fitment problem the 89C4 SMF has to be taken off the list as a potential way to overcome the LWF issues.
From my position though, the Carrera RS LWF (and starter ring), fits the 89 Carrera 4. The Carrera RS LWF (and starter ring), fits the Carrera 2 so I am a little bemused as to why the SMF will not fit the 90 and up Carrera 2s and 4s.
Yes you need ALL the clutch and flywheel components from the 89 version to make it work properly or some of the Carrera RS parts if you do not use the rubber centred clutch plate.
Not that I recommend you try any of this anyway
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:18 AM
David P
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently replaced the clutch plate, the flywheel, the bolts, the clutch fork, release bearing, pressure plate etc on my C4 last month.

I went with standard parts as I've heard to many horror stories about stalling with lightweight flywheels.

The cost included other work, such as fixing a bent valve and replacing all the tyres, so I can't give you a figure for just the clutch part.

DavdiP
Old 08-27-2005, 07:23 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian
Weight of a flywheel assembly includes the starter ring because it is attached to the flywheel and is part of the rotating mass. They weigh quite a few pounds.
That would explain a bunch, the starter ring for a LWF easily weighs less than a pound.

I am interested in your comments about the starter ring fitment. Did you try and fit this flywheel to your 964?
It never got that far, the position for the starter ring gear was 10mm off and the release bearing(s) I measured were off by 2mm. So instead of screwing around trying to figure out the correct parts to buy (release bearing, PP screws, etc.) the flywheel was returned. If the release bearing was wrong the clutch would have slipped and everything would have had to come apart again (and it wasn't my car -- I already had to do my clutch install twice because a defective spacer on the release bearing split in two a few miles from my house on the first shakedown run. I am now really quick at dropping an engine).

From my position though, the Carrera RS LWF (and starter ring), fits the 89 Carrera 4. The Carrera RS LWF (and starter ring), fits the Carrera 2 so I am a little bemused as to why the SMF will not fit the 90 and up Carrera 2s and 4s.
Is the ring gear on the MWF mounted differently? I could have taken the wrong measurements, etc.

Not that I recommend you try any of this anyway
It was decided to just stick with what we know already works and doesn't stall...

Quick Reply: If you did your Flywheel & Clutch