Sponsored by:

Installed Bird Center Armrest

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 08:21 PM
scupper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Installed Bird Center Armrest

I bought a tan leather Bird Center Armrest on Ebay last week and it arrived yesterday. It arrived in perfect conditon and with a handfull of hardware. I sent an email to Bird Automotive last evening offering to purchase for a nominal sum the installation instructions. Well Sam Bird replies saying he has already faxed the instuctions to me. I give him a call to inquire about the drink holder that mounts inside the opened armrest, and he takes the time to review the instructions and make sure I have all the necessary hardware. I could not believe the outstanding service since I didn't purchase this unit from him. He is friendly, helpful and warm.
-
I installed the unit this evening, and I must say, the tan leather matches exactly my interior. The engineering, quality and fit is absolutely first class. It is impossible to tell that the armrest did not come stock from the factory.

New ones are not cheap, about $500 (I got mine for $250) but I was seriously considering purchasing a new one before I came across this one on ebay.

See:
<a href="http://www.birdautomotive.com/993.htm" target="_blank">http://www.birdautomotive.com/993.htm</a>

Chuck
Old 10-30-2002, 08:41 PM
BarryG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have looked at these in the past and have thought about it. I was wondering how easy it truly is to install it. How long did it take? Is it really solid once it is in?
Old 10-30-2002, 09:27 PM
scupper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Barry - it really does take less than an hour and it is very solid. It bolts into existing holes in the steel frame under the plastic. I was really impressed with the fit between the black plastic panel directly behind the emergency brake and the black steel mounting plate that replaces the small bin. Apsolutely perfect. Happy to fax you or anyone else the three pages of detailed instructions, plus the mounting diagram. Just send me your fax numbers. The one tool that really sped the install process, however, is the combination open-end/ratchet 11 mm wrench. Little nuts and tight spaces. (A straight line for you guys - have at it )

Chuck
Old 10-30-2002, 10:26 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought a new black one last year. I love it (and i've no connection to Sam Bird apart from being a happy camper/customer). It is easy to install, it has to be as I'm useless at installing anything!

One top tip - some WD40 on the hinges otherwise they squeek a tad.

Quick Reply: Installed Bird Center Armrest