Question on Chassis numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 06:52 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question on Chassis numbers

Hello,

I have found a site (link below) which claims that for European C2s and 4s the last chassis number produced for the M series is 7839.

I know of a car with chassis number 96Z M S40 5049, sold on March 1991.

My question is, the Porsche model year change (from M to N, for ex) is in October (or November), correct? So, I cannot understand why the aforementioned car, sold in March 1991 and probably produced in February 91 has such a high chassis number.

I mean, 1991 964s had only been in production for 5 months or less, hence, assuming equal numbers were produced thoughout the 1991 model year (M) I would expect a car produced in February to have chassis number closer to 3500.

Does anyone have an insight as to why this is like this?

Thanks in advance.

Porsche chassis numbers
Old 07-18-2001, 09:11 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Riccardo,
I see nothing wrong with the numbers actually Riccardo. You are only talking what 1000 per month. That is quite normal for Porsche. I mean between Feb 89 and Aug 89 they produced 3111 plus C4s along with everything else they were building.The 1991 model was a little confused as well so I would no tbe worried about the VIN. It sits in the correct range for the model,
Ciao,
Adrian.
911C4

PS: Never assume anything with Porsche. Big mistake. They did not follow convention in many areas and this does lead to some confusion. Do not forget that there was also some heavy duty industrial problems at Porsche at this time. Strikes, layoffs and the like.

Quick Reply: Question on Chassis numbers