Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear spoiler curtain

Old 08-24-2005, 07:26 AM
Patrick L
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear spoiler curtain

Found my spoiler curtain was gone, just as pictures in Adrain's book.
My question is, which part should I order? I checked the part chart but couldn't figure out whuch is the one. Will there be any issue if I just leave it like that?

Thanks!
Attached Images   
Old 08-24-2005, 08:02 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Part #11. may help direct air in the motor besides it looks better with it on there. Takes 5 minutes to replace.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:51 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I know that I'll get a raft of sh*t from the purists, but I (and many others on this forum) simply use "black duct tape". it will look good (you won't win any concourse trophy), and last for a year before it needs a redo!
Old 08-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You could try that but I'm not sure that the duct tape would be strong enough to withstand the air pressure against it once you are driving at a reasonable speed.

Marc
Old 08-24-2005, 11:50 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Marc, it most certainly is ;-))) over 140 anyway...and no not here in the UK, but mainland Europe....

kevin
Old 08-24-2005, 12:00 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I know that I'll get a raft of sh*t from the purists, but I (and many others on this forum) simply use "black duct tape". it will look good (you won't win any concourse trophy), and last for a year before it needs a redo!
Probably do the same thing myself the next time mine takes a dump No telling how much Porsche has jacked up the price on that piece of plastic since I bought mine a couple years ago.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:27 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a so called 'purist' and I got away with using black electrical tape for about 4 years on my rear spoiler wall that was cracked in several places. However, I don't drive my car much so it was not stressed as much...

I replaced my spoiler wall two months ago. Super easy and it takes 5 minutes as others above have stated. My part cost was $79 from a Porsche dealer (with list price discount and a PCA discount they allow me).

Jay
90 964
Old 08-25-2005, 05:10 PM
JEJ 149
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just know it will take me longer than 5 minutes - or am I missing something really obvious?!

I thought I would have to take the spoiler off to do it, having read a guide on it somewhere....

Julian
Old 08-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by JEJ 149
I just know it will take me longer than 5 minutes - or am I missing something really obvious?!

I thought I would have to take the spoiler off to do it, having read a guide on it somewhere....

Julian
Just snap off the old one and snap in the new one. The new spoiler wall will definite snap in firmly, but it's very doable without diassembling anything. It took me 15 minutes really since I was being very careful so as not to scratch any paint work, but it's an easy job.

If you take a good look at the assembly up close, you should be able to assess pretty quickly as to which way to pry the old one off and attach the new one. The top of the spoiler wall will come off in one direction and the bottom will come off in the opposite direction.

Good Luck,

Jay
Old 08-25-2005, 05:22 PM
JEJ 149
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jay,

Thank you for that, really appreciated.

I will attack it with new confidence!

Best wishes

Julian
Old 08-25-2005, 05:24 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Make sure the spoiler ir raised when you are doing this...

Sorry... just having some fun... it has been a long day
Old 08-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you get the spoiler to stand up with the car off? I have an '89 C4 and do not have the center console switch...just pops up at 50 MPH. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-25-2005, 06:42 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bates
How do you get the spoiler to stand up with the car off? I have an '89 C4 and do not have the center console switch...just pops up at 50 MPH. Thanks for the help!
You should have a switch on the inside of the engine compartment lid to raise and lower the spoiler manually - LHS, I think.

Kinda hard to use on the highway ( ) so they moved it inside the cabin in later cars.

Marc
Old 08-25-2005, 08:12 PM
williamreinecke
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, I am in with the duct tape camp. But what do I tape to on the lid? The hinged piece or the lid itself?
Old 08-25-2005, 08:56 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by williamreinecke
Ok, I am in with the duct tape camp. But what do I tape to on the lid? The hinged piece or the lid itself?
I would say if your rear spoiler wall is failing where the wall attaches (or snaps onto) to the spoiler, then I'd buy a new one. If the spoiler wall is failing where it hinges between the sections, then just tape over the joint.

Keep in mind that if this spoiler wall completely fails and ends up flopping on the body at speed, you'll have a lot more paint damage than the cost of buying a new one for $79 and taking 15 minutes to snap it on... That was my reasoning for a new one. Mine was no where near as bad as Patrick's photo shows above. I'd personally replace the whole thing if it was that bad... Why mess around?

Jay
90 964

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear spoiler curtain