964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should be in my Porsche tool box?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003 | 07:22 PM
toyboy
Intermediate

Post What should be in my Porsche tool box?

Hi Everyone,
I am looking for recomendation on what type of tools should I start buying for my Porsche tool box. These are what I have in mind and they all are made by Facom. I am looking at a set of metric combination wrenches, a set of off-set metric wrenches, a set of screwdrivers, a set of torx and hex keys, and both sets of 1/4" and 1/2" drive metric ratchets and sockets. I decided to skip the 3/8" drive set because it seems to overlap with the 1/4" and 1/2" sets. Is this a mistake?. Thank you in advance for your help. Best, Andy
Old 01-22-2003 | 07:39 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Andy,
There is a 964 forum topic called "Racing, track, or DE - tools and parts checklist" that you might find contains much of the information you are looking for. You can find the topic by doing a search. Good luck!
Erick
Old 01-22-2003 | 08:00 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

When I work on my car, I almost exclusively use my 3/8 sockets. They are a good general size. I use the 1/2 for large torque or when I need a longer ratchet handle (wheel lug nuts). I rarely use the 1/4 except in small tight spaced.

I recommend buying the 3/8 socket set first. Then wait and see what other sockets you may need.
Old 01-22-2003 | 08:25 PM
scupper
Racer

Assume Facom has them, but I purchased a set of Snap-On combination open-end/ratchet-box metrics. They are perfect for getting into those tight spaces where a socket won't fit, but you still have a ratchet. Highly recommend them!

Chuck
93 C2
Old 01-22-2003 | 09:24 PM
Robert Coats
Racer

(1) I agree with the previous comment about te 3/8" drive set. It's the one to start with. At some point, you may want a few 1/2" and 1/4" items, but 3/8" is the best overall size for most jobs.

(2) While you shopping for 3/8" drive items, pick up a set of allen-head sockets, as allen-head bolts are quite common.

(3) Combination wrenches are a good choice. I have a normal and long length set that work great nearly anywhere.

(4) Facom make great tools, there's no doubt about it, but consider Craftsman or Husky (the Home Depot brand). They are a LOT easier to get replaced (for free) "no questions asked" on a late Sunday afternoon than Facom, Snap-On or other professional-grade tools. Last time I checked, Home Depot even honored the Craftsman warranty from Sears! Hard to beat that, especially when you compare the costs.

Quick Reply: What should be in my Porsche tool box?