Sponsored by:

Choice of Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 03:28 AM
GP964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Choice of Spark Plugs

Hey folks, I have a 90 C2, just curious what are the benefits to running a colder spark plug?
On my 3.6 I currently have 1. Autothority MAF (chip custom calibrated by Tod Knighton (Protomotive) the Autothority was causing pinging even that low rpms and also only available gas in So.Cali is 91 octane).
2. Nology ProFire Ignition Coils
3.Cat Bypass leading to a dual outlet Euro Tezet Muffler
4. Tod also recommended (already done) installing an overried switch for the oil fan cooler.
Which helps when im racing or in LA traffic.
and also advises the hotter the engine the more likely to ping.

So I was wondering what a colder spark plug will do?

Thanks
GP
Old 10-28-2002, 03:31 AM
GP964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Btw with the current setup, I had it dynoed on a Mustang Dyno near home in Palmdale, California, at temp 85 deg F. and elevation of 3000 above sea level. I'm getting 240hp at the wheels. Don't know if thats good or not.

GP
Old 10-29-2002, 03:20 PM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
GP,

You may want to look at the color of the deposit on the current spark plugs, and see how they are burning right now. The color of the deposit is an indication of many things. However, one of them is a general indication of how hot or cold the plug tends to run when the engine reaches uniform operating temp.
If the color of the deposits are tan to dark tan, they may be alright just as they are. (This is wat you are looking for.) If the deposit gets too dark, it might mean the spark plug never reaches an optimum operating temperature to burn cleanly. If your plugs are tan to whitish-tan, that may be too hot, then you could investigate a colder plug.
If you go to a plug that is too cold, you could have an engine that runs poorly until it is thoroughly heated up.
Again, if everything is in good working order, the color of the deposits on the business end of the plug can tell you things. It is not the only indicator though.

I may be wrong, but I don't think a colder plug will cure any pinging caused by an overheated engine. Perhaps someone else on the board has some insight into that.

Good luck,
Steve
Old 10-29-2002, 09:23 PM
jonfkaminsky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
george-
provided you dyno'd in fourth gear and all other things equal- that should work out to about 260 HP at the flywheel.

240/1.086/0.85

not bad at that elevation and temp.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:22 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
jonfk

still troubled by this 'divide by gear ratio' thing.

Clearly, it seems to work for th numbers, and I understand that gearing is a torque multiplier, but why is the the final drive ratio ignored??

That is, I don't think 1.086 is the gearing from engine to wheel, or is it????

Quick Reply: Choice of Spark Plugs