Sponsored by:

Minor oil leaks . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 05:32 PM
Scrooge
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Minor oil leaks . . .

I notice that a couple new drops of oil show up on the garage floor each time I park the car overnight. After seven months (2500 miles), I have had to add about half a quart of oil to maintain the full level on the oil gauge and dipstick. My dealer told me that the leaks are minor, but does this sound like excessive leakage to anyone? Are they worth getting fixed now, or should I wait until a larger service sometime in the future?

Thank you for your help . . .
Old 07-11-2001, 06:45 PM
Michael W
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
My mechanic tells me that oil consumption is normal. Depending on the type of driving, it is expected to add about 1qt of oil for every 1K miles. In fact I was told the owner's manual specify normal oil consumption numbers. So if you have to add 1/2 quart after 7 months and 2500 miles it does not seem excessive at all. I add about 1quart for every 1200 miles. My compression is around 150 to 160 on all cylinders and with about 100K miles on the clock, still running strong. The engine has some minor leaks, but with the engine engine tray installed it never drips in my garage. I think at the next oil change I am going to remove the undertray to monitor the leaks more closely.

Mike
Old 07-11-2001, 07:31 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Michael,

If you engine tray has not been removed you should have that done soon. Bruce Anderson recomended that the tray be removed on 964 series.

There was evidence of early exhaust valve guide wear/failure due to the engine tray. It was there to reduce noise from some countries and has very little aerodynamic effect on the car.

Someone on here with more information will jump in I am sure.

Sonny Vo
Old 07-12-2001, 03:36 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car has 21K on it now. I had a complete service done when it was bought. After about 2500 miles, I finally had to add 1/2 quart of oil to top it off. I have no leaks (at least that I can see).

Your oil consumption looks either normal or low to me. You MIGHT want to check the power steering pump (or other fluid sources...like the transmission) and make sure they're not leaking, unless of course you already know the source of the leaks.

Bill Wagner

'91 C4

Quick Reply: Minor oil leaks . . .