Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monday, Monday- you're so fine....

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 07:59 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monday, Monday- you're so fine....

Got anything to be happy about? Stacey and I took the car to a show yesterday; lots of muscle cars and old classics, but only 3 P-cars- 1 914, 1 944 (for sale), and us. I'm thinkin we need a Foreign Car show; be nice to see something other than a 57 Chevy witha big block, or the overdone Camaro breeds.

Filled the tank after the show; $50.00 to top her off at $2.89 a gallon for mid-grade.

So what about you?

oh yeah- Looks like Rick has time to fix stuff, so let's give him our list....
Old 08-22-2005, 09:26 AM
Timmer
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

thank you lucky stars (and stripes) for gas - even at that price!

well over $6 a gallon this side of the pond
Old 08-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Like Rick, I had some time to fix a few things too.

I got my fog lights aimed and my fuel filler neck installed. I got the car washed up and even washed the inside of the front bonnet to help remove any residual gas smell -- I'll rent a carpet cleaner this afternoon and wash the carpet fron the bonnet too.

Manged to get a few nice drives in around the coast too.

Marc
Old 08-22-2005, 09:38 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm happy I finally had the time to get a few things fixed on the car. So Marc... Is that what the smell is? I replaced my fuel filler neck and it still smells of fuel! I took the carpet out and let it air out in the sun for a few hours. I guess I'll need to wash it or get a new one. Actually, I'll take it out for a few days and leave the hood open. Maybe that will get out the rest of it.

I'm also happy because my new business seems to be taking off in the right direction. I've worked harder in the past 3 months than I have in the past three years. I guess that's how it is though.

93 Octane is what i put in mine... It's hovering at just below $3/gal out here. But as far as the Porsche goes... It could be $10/gal and I'd still be happy!
Old 08-22-2005, 11:52 AM
jdocking
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm happy because here, petrol is cheaper than water. Seriously. Check out the tag-line location......

I'm also a little happier because I think I've just broken through the barrier where I've had the car longer than my garage. Hopefully I'll stretch this lead out from now on.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hawk, every time I read your posts I wonder what "loving THE life" refers to? Please enlighten!

Cheers,
Old 08-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I was able to finish the first coat or Red caliper paint on the front calipers... that was Sunday... Saturday I did one of the rooms in my brother's house ( I am installing tile in his house, we are down now to one room and the bathrooms).

Monday... well nothing good so far... a lot of work (well... there is work so I have to be thankful for that )
Old 08-22-2005, 07:32 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Default Kind of a long story....

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
Hawk, every time I read your posts I wonder what "loving THE life" refers to? Please enlighten!

Cheers,
I used to ride cycles; went down really hard last July (2005) and had to have 2 surgeries to fix me among other things. I had back injuries, may have permanent nerve damage in my left foot/ankle, and used up another of my 9 lives. Others on here have seen the x-ray pictures from before/after surgery. This was my second time down hard, last one was 18 yrs ago. Prior to motorcycles, I fell in love the 911s in mid-80s and vowed to own one some day. Well, we gave up riding with the hopes that I'd stay in 1 piece, more or less, with some other avenue of enjoyment.

My wife is fantastic, and just before being admitted 3 months post-injury for an infection (104 degree temp and excruciating pain in my hip were the only symptoms), we both decided riding would not be in our future; the next breath I said "I want my 911 then." My exact words, to which she said yes.

so I've got 2 reasons for my signature line- I love living the life of a Porsche owner, but more importantly, I love just plain living.

So there you have it; the rest of the story.

p.s. for those that missed it and are curious....
Old 08-22-2005, 08:06 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Goodness, the x-ray makes me shudder to look at it! GREAT story and for a change 'I'm glad I asked'!!

Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-22-2005, 11:34 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Today was a great Monday for me. I got my p-car back from the repair shop after is was there for a week having a new starter installed and repalcing the master cylinder as well. (Power Boster was full of brake fluid, so now the mystery of the disapeering brake fluid is solved) So I drove her today and now she is back home and in the garage. Having to be without her this weekend was tough. Yes she is my mistress and my wife understands.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:32 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I can only imagine what it's like going through airport security! haha glad you're still in one piece and able to enjoy your pcar!
Old 08-23-2005, 04:49 AM
jdocking
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update on my previous post - it's now Tuesday and I'm not so happy.....the car has just had it's rear trailing arms replaced after one made a bid for freedom (almost, but not quite, coming detached). They've done all the replacements, but not the car has a definite lean.....so it's back to the shop. The way I tested it was to run my wallet over each wheel (it's all I had to hand, really) - one side passes cleanly, the other gets truly stuck. However, I think after I've paid for the last set of repairs, the wallet should be thin enough to pass over each wheel fine, so maybe I just need to wait......

Not a terribly scientific method, but it confirms what the eye tells. So it looks like the garage will once more be extending it's lead in terms of time spent with the car.

However, looking at that x-ray, a leaning car somehow doesn't seem to be that serious any more.....
Old 08-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hawk... You'v got more hardware than Home Depot!
Old 08-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State

I just returned from 10 days in Monterey for the Pre-Historics, the auctions, the concourse cars, a day of fishing, and the Historics. Of course, the weather sucked. You Brits would have loved it; fog, rain and cold. And this is California!

Of note was the first Porsche racing car 055-001 that Bruce Canepa had at his corrall on the weekend of the Pre-Historics. It's the car featured in this month's Excellence. I was in awe of standing next to this masterpiece. It went away to various shows and did not show up on the following weekend.

Upon leaving the coast to Central California, Wife and I took "her" cab inland up the Carmel Valley road and finally found the sun. A stunningly beatuiful country road. We then headed a bit south on 101 and caught highway 198 to King City. This just has to be one of the great road trips in the world. The road surfaces on all roads are adequate and the curves somewhat scarey at any speed at all, with big drops off the side of the road. I did get passed by a Lambo. And I did see several "barfers" at the side of the road. The scenary is right out of a movie set and nothing to interupt the view. Carmel Valley has a few sign of civilization after leaving the Village. After you get on 198, there are signs warning that there are no services within many miles, so we filled up early with gas and drinks.

I high recommend everyone who visits Monterey to take the trip. It is a day long event, round trip, and save the wine tasting for the return evening. A side trip to the Pinnicles National Monument just off of 198 would be in order. Hawk and his wife would also "love the life" on this trip.

Just do it.

Quick Reply: Monday, Monday- you're so fine....