The standard 1st buyer laundry list

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 06:11 PM
jam
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The standard 1st buyer laundry list

Hey all,

Great site, with great regular contributors (some even with info I can use!) that have been helping me to narrow my first purchase(it's mostly taken this long to get my wife on board). So, I'll first ask if anyone's holding my desired vehicle -- '91-93 964, 40-60k miles, silver/black, 5 sp, C2 coupe and then ask the following:

1. Does anyone have any recommendation for someone to do a PPI in LA? San Diego? San Francisco? (I'm in west LA and will travel to buy the right car)

2. Assuming all is generally in good shape, and no major rebuilds required, what should I plan on spending annually to keep the car In high tune?

3. Has anyone worked with any dealers and repair shops in LA that they feel good about recommending?

Thanks all in advance and looking to seeing you all at DE and PCA events.

Jam
null

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: jam ]
Old 07-09-2001, 09:09 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Jam,

I'm not in California so I can't help with the local info, but I can shed a litte light on maintenance costs. Basically, assuming the car is in good working order, the 964 requires a service every 15,000 miles (according to my owners manual). This service typically will cost between $500 to $800, depending on whether a local mechanic or the dealer does the work. This service also includes an oil change.

I change my oil every 7500 miles, which costs about $100-$125 if someone does it for you. About $60 if you do it yourself.

These are the main maintenance costs, but the car also requires a periodic brake flush (every 2 years, about $100) and gearbox fluid change (not sure about interval, about $100).

Using this info, you can guesstimate your annual maintenance cost based on mileage. My 92 C2 coupe has cost me more than $150 per month in maintenance, but I also drive it 50 miles round trip each day to work, and I drove the car A LOT when I first bought it. Obviously, maintenance cost will vary based on miles driven.

A clutch job will cost between $1200-$2000. Hopefully the 964 you purchase will have a lot of life left in its clutch.

One last comment- I seem to go MONTHS without spending any money on maintenance and then get hit with a large bill. My $150 per month figure in reality is more like zero, zero, zero, zero, $800, etc., and it's completely worth it to drive such a great car.

Question- Why exclude the '90 model year? I can understand limiting the search to 92-93 because of the mechanical updates, but the 91 model is essentially the same as the '90 model. Am I missing something?

Good luck with your search.

Quick Reply: The standard 1st buyer laundry list