Sponsored by:

Matching paint color by code and year

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Tim Sawyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matching paint color by code and year

Just a little piece of paint trivia which some may already know this but I did not. Last week I bought some fog replacemnet scoops which I am going to paint myself and so I was ordering a kit from paintscratch.com which offers an easy online color selector and gives you all the things you need. I put in my model year and clicked Silver metallic and was about to order when I read there warning regarding making sure your color code is the right one, well 1990 silver is the only one listed I thought to myself so no big deal. I didn't know the actual code of the top of my head but the number did not sound familiar. So I hesitated and went home and looked in the owners manual and got L980. This was not the number listed in the The little Red book of Porsche model years options etc. Confusing I thought so I looked back further and discovered L980 in the H series 3.2 litre cars. Apparentley my original owner (Mr. Dennis Sullivan of Beverley Hills) did not like Zermatt Lake Silver (code 55) and was able to order a paint code from model year H 1986-1987. The L in my code is needless to say model year 1990's designation and the 980 is Silver Metallic from H as I mentioned. So the moral is don't assume anything when it comes to paint colors and codes, and as the old saw goes " look before you leap" (which I barely did...)

Quick Reply: Matching paint color by code and year