Sponsored by:

Brake Line Replacement C4

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 04:02 PM
alan911sc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Brake Line Replacement C4

While I am in the midst of performing my DIY maintenance on 1990 C4 I would like to change my brake lines when I install the new rotors as the car has 80000 on the clock with the original lines. I am aware of the need for the "Hammer" for a proper brake bleed job. The question is it possible to bleed the lines once installed without the hammer using a suction type bleeder or by doing it the old fashioned way by pressing the pedal with a helper. I am also considering installing speed bleeders to make the pedal method easier. Would I be flirting with disaster trying this only to find the car would not be safely driveable if I had to have to take it to a hammer equipped shop. Or should I just have the shop install the lines and do the bleed. I would probably wait for my PCA coupon to have the dealer do the bleed if a shop bleed is necessary. I don't want to be stuck with undriveable car at home.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:59 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If you do not follow the brake procedures to th eletter on a C4 you are courting disaster. You CANNOT bleed the brakes by pumping the pedal. The C4 has hydraulic boosted brakes and pumping the pedal reduces the pressure in the boost cct and the pedal will stop moving.
You require a pressure bleeder. Do not use suction bleeders. If you are just bleeding the front and rear brakes cct you can get away without using a hammer.
Replacing brakes lines is a DIY job BUT it requires expertise and the correct procedures for bleeding the brakes.
Your suction bleeder and pumping the pedal will ensure you never reach the shop.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: Brake Line Replacement C4